Rash after cleaning table saw top

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
Has anyone ever received a rash that appears and feels like it's from poison ivy/oak after cleaning a table saw top?

Last week Tuesday, I scrubbed down a recently bought Craftsman 113 using WD-40 and a Scotch-Brite pad to remove the surface rust. I had worn neoprene gloves. Afterward, I noticed a rash on my wrists, above the gloves. Strangely, the rash is on the back side of the wrist (the opposite side of the palm), not the side that would face the table - until 6 days later.

Initially, I had thought that it was a reaction to the rust, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't touched the saw since last Tuesday. I bought long rubber gloves so I could scrub the top again, then follow up with some Naphtha, with the plan to be more careful and to wear a protective plastic layer. I haven't done so to see if it would heal faster without getting it sweaty and hot.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this type of allergic reaction, and whether the cause was ever found.

iclark

Ivan
User
Since it is a new-to-you saw, it might be full of dust/shavings from a wood that you are allergic/sensitive to.
I would suggest putting on a good respirator and safety goggles and doing a good cleaning of the inside of the saw before working on the top again.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Very well could be saw dust that was trapped by the gloves and through friction of you moving about, with sweat, caused the irritant. I've noticed the same when wearing gloves at times so unless I am dealing with dyes or glues, I tend to not use them any more.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
The allergic reaction is pretty severe, to the point I can't sleep well due to the itching and the pain from the pressure of the blisters.

The irritant between the glove and skin doesn't seem plausible because the rash started where there was no contact with the glove. It's been 8 days and it's the worst now. Looking like a typical 2 to 3 week poison ivy episode for me. Haven't gotten into in over 10 years, so this is a surprise.

I don't have much experience with various wood species, but I'd be surprised to see this strong of a reaction to touch. I'd be more likely to expect respiratory issues than just residue mixed with WD-40

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
PXL_20230531_024458444.jpg

iclark

Ivan
User
I couldn't find the USFS version on a quick study, but this one has the basic info/table of wood types.

All woodworkers should read and understand the table on that website.
It can literally save your life.
Irritation, coughing or sneezing are caused by the dust itself. Exposure to excessive amounts of wood dust may irritate the eyes, nose, and throat. Workers may also experience shortness of breath, dryness and sore throat, conjunctivitis (inflammation of the mucous membranes of the eye), and rhinitis (runny nose).

Dermatitis is common and may be caused by the chemicals in the wood. For dermatitis, the skin may become red, itchy, dry, or blister. Allergic contact dermatitis may also develop.

One of the Two Lawyers saw makers had to quit woodworking because his wood sensitivities became so severe that he had to stop woodworking. He was the partner who made the handles.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Wow that looks painful and almost like a burn. Hopefully you can find an ointment at the pharmacy to stop the itching.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
It looks worse today (blisters), but I'll spare you the gore. I did do a telemedicine session with a dermatologist yesterday evening, so I now have some Clobetasol (steroid) and Mupirocin (antibiotic) ointments.

I had to wait to this morning to pick up the ointments, so last night I did an old fashioned oatmeal with baking powder poultice, which helped - at least it felt better for a while, and supposedly pulled out any oils (like urushiol).

Thanks for the woods list that cause allergic reactions, Oka (Casey). That's good to know. No telling what the previous owner of the saw had cut, other than pine, which he'd mentioned. Nor the owner(s) prior to him. Apparently the saw hadn't been cleaned in a long time.

I'd emptied the enclosed bottom of about 20 gallons worth of sawdust since there was no dust port added to the custom enclosure. I had no issues with the sawdust, which looked like all pine.

BEFORE:
113_before.png

DURING:
113_during.png

AFTER (1 pass of WD-40 with Scotch-Brite pad on orbital sander):
113_after.png

I'm gun shy of touching the top now.. to the point that I just picked up a used SawStop contractor saw on Monday. I'll probably wait to heal, then do a rinse with Naphtha (while wearing longer rubber gloves and protective clothing). If I'm feeling it, I'll do another pass with WD-40 and scouring pad again, and/or 000 steel wool. Then take a shower with the Fells Naptha (laundry) soap.

bainin

New User
bainin
Can you ask the previous owner what types of wood/ chemical cleaners they were using?

That looks pretty painful-hopefully it will clear up quickly with the Meds.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
Can you ask the previous owner what types of wood/ chemical cleaners they were using?

That looks pretty painful-hopefully it will clear up quickly with the Meds.

I've asked what was cut on the table saw via FB Messenger; waiting for an answer.

I think the poultice I'd made last night really started a good job of drawing out the allergen, based on how it looks now. I'm hoping that's a good thing. There's pressure from the fluid, but it's just under the surface of the skin rather than in the muscle now, so more of the regular allergic reaction than looking like an infection, even though it looks worse.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
The prior owner said he only cut pine, fir, oak, and maple. I know, not exactly a specific list, but I doubt he was using anything more exotic than home center wood. I forgot to ask about cleaners, but since the table top was so rusty, I doubt he was using anything at all.

And thanks, @iclark, for the link to The Wood Database.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Did you, by any chance, trim fig trees a day earlier? I got a very similar looking rash from the sap/roots. Took a day or two to show up.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
Did you, by any chance, trim fig trees a day earlier? I got a very similar looking rash from the sap/roots. Took a day or two to show up.
Nope, no lawn or garden work at all.

Correction from a previous post: I used nitrile gloves, not neoprene. I've read that nitrile does protect against urushiol.

And something interesting I found is that rubber gloves don't protect from urushiol. I'll be buying different longer gloves for future rust removal work!

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
No one asked but could you have developed an allergy or sensitization to the components of WD-40? I'd be extremely careful repeating anything you did the first time.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
Once I clear up I'll try a dab in a clear and previously unaffected spot to see. If I try now, I'll wonder if it spread from the original source. I had WD-40 all over my hands, washed them well, then put on nitrile gloves. My hands weren't affected, only what wasn't in the gloves.

I rarely use WD-40, but always have a can around. I prefer white grease / Vaseline for most household needs.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member

Some times our immune system will react to a substance which had no prior effect.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS