Raleigh CL - 40 Sheets Furniture Grade Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I saw that. His bit about not wanting to discuss price until you were there kind of put me off a little. There is a little wannabe flea market (mostly junk) near Jacksonville that I used to stop in from time to time that had offcuts for really low prices (like a dollar or two), but they were usually 1' x 4' or less. Good jig material.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have a (gut) feeling I've met the seller.

Probably can't be bothered to catalog the material.

-Mark

DaveD

New User
Dave
I live 2 minutes from Westgate road. I just sent him an Email. I'll let you know what I find out.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I used to consider luan furniture grade, but have been swayed away after the last few sheets of it I have gotten from the BORG.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Went and checked it out this morning with Bernhard.

40 sheets furniture grade plywood is actually 20 sheets of 1/2" sandply plywood from the Borg, a couple of sheets of MDF and particle board, and a bunch of 3/4" off cuts.All of it in fair condition (it is dinged and beat up). He thought the sandply was Maple and was asking $40 a sheet for it. For the off cuts he wanted a $1 a piece for those. Again, beat up and dinged up.

Needless to say, we didn't buy anything.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
He thought the sandply was Maple and was asking $40 a sheet for it.
:eek::eek::eek:

Let's see, a sheet of cheap beat-up plywood for $40, a tiny drill press for $2000...man inflation must be really bad!

The scary thing is, he may actually find someone willing to pay those prices, out of sheer ignorance.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Travis, very interesting what you found..... here is what he emailed me less than 30 minutes ago.

Did you happen to see the 'plexiglas'? If its a full sheet, and its 'lexan', and not screwed up I might be interested in that. Did you see the sheet of HDPE?. His price is high on that though. Will pass on the rest.

It's hard to give a price for all, because I don't know exactly what I have, and because we have to look at each sheet as we agree on price.
But I see you're looking for a quantity price, and that you'll get.
I would like to sell these goods at about 50% of the prices at http://www.walllumber.com/fur.asp .
If you buy "a lot", I'll go lower.

There are 3 or 4 sheets 3/4-inch birch. -- $25 each
There could be up to 20 sheets 1/2 inch birch -- $19 each
There are about 3 sheets 1/2 inch oak, I think -- $23 each
A few sheets of Luan, hardboard, chipboard, and particle board. -- $10 each
A sheet of 1/2 inch plexiglas -- $ 125
A sheet of HDPE, 1/2 inch probably --$100
ALL are 4x8 feet.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Interesting. We told him to check wall lumbers prices as a $100 a sheet for maple is way high to me. IMO, prices are still too high for what you can go and buy it new. I haven't priced BORG plywood in awhile (and this is BORG plywood), but it seems he wants more for it than you can buy it new. Can't blame him for trying to get the most out of it he can.......

I didn't see the plexiglass, but Bernhard did. IIRC, Bernhard said it was plexiglass, but it wasn't the type that is scratch resistant. It is NOT lexan.

As for the HDPE, I thought there were 2 sheets of that. One 1/2 inch and one 3/4 or 1". Bernhard looked at it and thought that it had been under heat as the covering did not peel off easy. In general though, the HDPE looked to be in pretty good shape.

Bas, you must be right. Inflation is waaayyyyy rampant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS