Rail and Stile Shelf Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
My son and daughter-in-law have placed their annual Christmas gift request. It is for a set of three shelf units that are composed only of rail and stile construction with solid shelves. There are 4 shelves per unit. The rails and stiles appear in the picture to be about 1 1/2-in square and 60" tall. The rails and stiles are flush with each other.

I am looking for the best way to attach the rails to the stiles. Attached is a picture of the shelf units with glass shelves, but they want solid wood.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• img3m.jpg
    img3m.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 206

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mortise and tenon, or loose tenon. I would consider using glass as it would maintain the light & openess of the design. The glass could just sit in rabbets cut in the frame members.
MTCW,
Dave:)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Dominoes. No really. I can't tell you how much time you would save. "Honey, I have to get a new tool...." :)

rhett

New User
rhett
I agree with the M&T. You will need to use atleast 1/4 tempered glass. The glass will also need to be clipped on all four corners to account for going around the post if you plan on rabbiting the cross members. The glass would definately be a nice touch, but will cost you about 3x the price of using plywood for the shelving.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I was afraid that you guys would say M&T. That's what I thought also, but was just in awe of the number of M&Ts that I would have to make. I think that I am going to try the mortise and loose tenion. I have not used that method before and think that I will give it a try on a test piece. Otherwise, I think that the job calls for a hollow chisel mortiser which I don't have. Looks like a good excuse to buy one. Can't disappoint the daughter-in-law.

As for the shelves, glass is what I suggested also, but they insisted on wood. I think that I will cut the rails for glass and make the wooden shelves to fit with a matching rabbet, but still have the option to remove the wooden shelves and replace them with glass.

Thanks for the input.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Dominoes. No really. I can't tell you how much time you would save. "Honey, I have to get a new tool...." :)

You saw this post didn't you? If the Domino is in your budget, I highly recommend it for this and most other M & T work. I'm extremely impressed w/ mine. Makes a job like this literally a quick and easy job.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
It sounds like Peter is sold on the Domino. Heck, sounds like everyone that bought one is tickled pink! :)

If you want a much cheaper Normite option buy a hollow chisel mortiser. I believe you will only need a single setup for those mortises. You'll be surprised how many you can crank out once you get it set up.

Either way, a new tool is not a BAD idea, huh?? :lol: :lol:

Solid wood will be more work than glass.

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For about $35 you can get a 3/8 Sorby register chisel at Woodcraft. With a little practice, it won't take too much time to knock out the mortises. (You will need a mallet, too, which they have for about $25 or make one yourself). It will probably take longer than the Domino, but would you rather spend the time woodworking, or earning the money for the Domino?

Just a thought

Go

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This may be a novel idea! Now promise not to laugh!!!:oops:

I purchased a Dowelmax jig two years ago and use it a lot in place of M&T. You would be really surprised to see the accuracy of this doweling jig. I have used it for everything from edge gluing panels to joining small table legs to aprons and face frame joinery.

Highly recommend the Dowelmax jig!

Works for me!

Wayne

pslamp32

New User
Peter
It will probably take longer than the Domino, but would you rather spend the time woodworking, or earning the money for the Domino?

Just a thought

Go

LOL! I know I'm a noob but.... it only took me one afternoon of making M & T for a little table that made me realize I had to have the Domino! :eusa_clap

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS