quick set epoxy stench

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yeah, I am the guy who preaches patience with epoxy and swears by the overhight stuff, but one of my kids busted a drawer on a cheap dresser and the chip board cracked around the holes on the end so I could not just reassemble it. Besides, it was not holding well in any corner. I decided to use some of the quick epoxy in the syringe to firm it back up. It worked fine, but it stinks; sort of a grape smell. Very strong. I figured it would disappate but it has been a few days. Anyway I think I will try sealing it with shellac, but I figured I would post first to see if there is another option others use.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's interesting Andy. I've used bar top epoxy a few times and it's fine after it dries. I'd think that would be the same for what you used, but maybe not. :eusa_thin

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Quick set does set quickly, but still needs to cure for at least 24 hrs. Until then it will outgas

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Check to make sure it has cured. Normally the odor should go away once it sets/cures, which should be within 24 hrs. With the fast set stuff the mixture ratio is critical; if you don't have it right either the joint will fail or it will take FOREVER for it to cure, meaning it will offgas odor for a while.
:no:
DAMHIKT.

CarvedTones

Andy
It seems to have cured, though it feels slick, like there is a residue. It is syringe stuff, so the mis should have been right.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I refuse to use the syringe application. Too many problems. Air bubbles can cause one side to fail while the other side is fine. Once you get uneven amounts there is no way to add only one of the two components. Besides, once opened and used, the syringes are a mess. I noticed of late that most of the big box retailers as well as Ace have stopped carrying epoxy in separate tubes and sell only the syringe types. Too bad!:no:

Ernie

CarvedTones

Andy
The proportions seemed correct and I mixed it thoroughly. The smell has subsided enough for my son to sleep in his room the last few nights with the drawer in the dresser, but not put any clothes in the drawer yet.

DavidF

New User
David
Not an answer to your question Andy, but I bought a syringe type a few month ago for a job and for the life of me I couldn't get an even mix. There was air in one side and try as i might I couldn't get it out without squirting glue all over the place, ended up throwing the whole thing out and going back to tubes. wasted $5 but didn't ruin the job.

CarvedTones

Andy
The crazy thing about this is that I have plenty of slow set, but I was trying to do this quickly. It didn't work out that way. The slow set I have is 2:1 mix and I have often eyeballed it and never had a problem, even though I am sure I have been slightly off sometimes. I feel pretty sure I got the mix right on ths stuff as I was mixing a little at a time, squeezing nickel sized puddles out of each side onto a little plastic tray, mixing like crazy with a small plastic applicator until it was all the same milky white and then slathering it in/on where I needed it. I did it in 3 batches because I thought it might start curing too fast to finish everything if I did it all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors