Question about older equipment?

halfmoonharbor

New User
TD
Hey y'all! I have a question about getting rid of older equipment, most of which works.

A bit of a backstory--my dad was a woodworker for many years. He had a small collection of equipment (including some duplicate pieces), with manufacture dates ranging from the 50s up to the 80s. I realize that safety features have come a long way since then, as well as design and efficiency. However, my dad was not one to upgrade anything until it broke entirely. He unexpectedly passed away a couple of years ago, leaving us with his collection of tools that have sat idle in the shop ever since.

I myself would love to pick up woodworking as a hobby, but I just don't have the time. And, we need to clean out the shop because we are trying to make better use of it (it's always served as a shop/game room/garage). Because most of the equipment works, I would hate to throw it away. And even for the pieces that don't work, I think that a little bit of time, maybe a motor swap and a new belt, would fix it. Since most of it is so old though, I'm not sure if anyone would want it since safety features and designs have come so far since then.

So my question is, what pieces that I have (I will list them below) would y'all say are worth selling and what pieces are not worth trying to find someone to take? This is what I have that I want to get rid of:
-Ryobi 10" Surface Planer, 1980s model that works
-Rockwell 4" Jointer, 1980s model that works
-Craftsman Radial Arm Saw, late 1970s model that works
-Craftsman Drill Press, early 1980s model that works
-Craftsman Table saw, early 1980s model, the motor does not work
-Craftsman Table saw, early 50s model that works
-Craftsman Band saw, early 50s model that does not have a motor

I would appreciate any tips or advice y'all might have, as I don't want to see it all go to waste since I can't use it!

halfmoonharbor

New User
TD
I didn't expect they would be worth much, I'm mostly just not certain where to look for someone who would want them. I thought the woodworker forum would be as good a place as any to start!

I wasn't able to get the model number from the planer, but the others are as follows:
-Rockwell 4" Jointer 37-130
-Craftsman Radial Arm Saw 113.197751
-Craftsman Drill Press 113.213780
-Craftsman Table saw (80s model) 113.298151
-Craftsman Table saw (50s model) 103.23832
-Craftsman Band saw 103.0103

I don't have great pictures but the ones I took last are attached below as well.

50sTablesaw.jpg
80sTablesaw-1.jpg
80sTablesaw-2.jpg
Bandsaw-1.jpg
Bandsaw-2.jpg
Drillpress-1.jpg
Drillpress-2.jpg
auto
IMG_5200.jpg
Jointer.jpg
Planer.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Every one of those would be a great beginning shop tool for anyone starting out. I agree that $100 each would be a fair starting price. Advertise them here and if they don’t sell in a month then lower the price or if someone wants all negotiate a discount.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Table saws without riving knives should be scrapped IMHO. Just too dangerous. Even more so for a beginner. All the rest should clean up and be good tools. Machining back in the day was better than most entry level junk sold today.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Table saws without riving knives should be scrapped IMHO. Just too dangerous. Even more so for a beginner. All the rest should clean up and be good tools. Machining back in the day was better than most entry level junk sold today.
Though they scrap the saw the motor might be worth saving. I started with a Craftsman and it had a good 110/220 motor.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I would not be discouraged from trying to get something from any of these based on being safe or not. The motor alone has a $50-100 value. I would list them and be sure to specify the motor voltage and hp. If they don’t sell in the first week, lower the price 10-25%. Good luck.

sandfarm

Joe
User
I am just wondering why some of you say that this craftsman equipment is dangerous to work with?
Why the radial arm saw?
Not saying you are wrong, just curious of your opinion.
Joe

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Because it will never run?
Exactly.
actually that one is missing the upper guides and the upper guide arm plus the lower guides are hard to see if they are there at all. As a restoration project, that model 12" saw won't end as well as the later ones up to the early 1970s.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I am just wondering why some of you say that this craftsman equipment is dangerous to work with?
Why the radial arm saw?
Not saying you are wrong, just curious of your opinion.
Joe
The design is not good for anything but cross cut and if you fingers are not in the right position it will cut them off. I had a good friend who lost his left hand on one. It was advertised for dados and ripping but don't do it. It always pulls the work the wrong way. Throw it away or dedicate it to cross cuts. A good sliding chop saw will do it much better and safer. Sell the motor. There is a reason they stopped selling them.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A lot of RAS saw climb can be mitigated if a negative rake angle blade is used instead of the typical crosscut blades. Having said that, every power and some hand tools in your shop are trying to kill you. Just don't turn your head the wrong way. Keep it in the game.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

Halfmoonharbor, New to forumconsider keeping what you can until you get out of Engineering college. The drill press is a good one and can't be duplicated from today's drill press offerings. The little 37-130 jointer is also an industrial quality machine. The nice thing about that jointer is that it uses the easily found 6202 bearings. The earlier 37-120 used a harder to find bearing. Lots of information on those two machines on owwm.org. The Ryobi planer may be worth keeping also until you get another.
A replacement table saw later will be expensive so keeping the best one may be a good strategy but it may eat more storage space than is available to you at the moment.

By the time you get out of school, inflation may make replacing those machines super expensive.

On the other hand, with an Engineering degree, even just out of school you may be in an income bracket that will be comfortable enough to buy new what you want.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The design is not good for anything but cross cut and if you fingers are not in the right position it will cut them off. I had a good friend who lost his left hand on one. It was advertised for dados and ripping but don't do it. It always pulls the work the wrong way. Throw it away or dedicate it to cross cuts. A good sliding chop saw will do it much better and safer. Sell the motor. There is a reason they stopped selling them.
I made my first set of tapered table legs with a radial arm saw In rip mode. Made most of the book shelves in our library with a dado stack on the same saw. Yes, they can be dangerous but the only tool I ever got hurt with was a common router. Nearly cut off a finger then nearly cut off my thumb.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My table saw is a 1995 Delta, no riving knife, I don’t think I have ever seen a riving knife on a saw. Well, maybe on the SawStop… I have ripped thousands of feet of lumber without even knowing of a riving knife. I doubt I would ever use one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS