Question About Glue Up For Box Making

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am thinking about doing a glue up of some walnut I have; dark and light hues. Is there any possible issues with face gluing the boards(~1/2" thick), then cross cutting them to the the desired width (say 4")? Or am I better off ripping each board to the desired width, and gluing up the 1/2" wide strips, and cutting to the desired lengths?

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Which would allow the alignment the easiest? We seem to have alignment issues on our cutting boards.
Don't think it would matter from the glue's point of view.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Do you mean edge gluing strips to get the width?
Then cross cut to get the short length for the box?
Yes, that’s how I would work it.

If possible glue long strips edge to edge, cut the pieces to length and keep them in order so the grain runs all around the box. There will be one corner where the grain doesn’t match. If there is a front and back side put that odd corner in the back.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Do you mean edge gluing strips to get the width?
Then cross cut to get the short length for the box?
Yes, that’s how I would work it.

If possible glue long strips edge to edge, cut the pieces to length and keep them in order so the grain runs all around the box. There will be one corner where the grain doesn’t match. If there is a front and back side put that odd corner in the back.
That’s sort my idea, Mike.

1) Face glue the boards, so the thickness of the glued edges is the desired height of the box walls.

2) Crosscut the glued boards for the length of the box sides.

3) Rip along the face of the glued boards to the desired height for the box walls.

4) Assemble the box sides (alternating dark and white strips of walnut), paying attention to the grain, hiding the “no continuous” grain corner at a back corner.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS