QSRO Bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Almost finished with a very gratifying project. I was able to help Jeff Mills and Jim (insteadof) saw up this wood late last summer. Thanks to Scott for the kiln drying as well. Interesting to see a round log turn into a piece of finished furniture. :icon_cheers

Still have some finish work to do, but overall I'm real pleased. Did a little experimenting with cloud lifts (homemade MDF templates) and making my own molding with a hand held router. It's not CNC routing, but it'll do for me (read, my signature variations in patterns). Will try some Konig wax sticks to disguise some of my sloppy joinery & some Black Bison neutral paste wax to finish. :eek:ccasion1

P3260126.jpg

P3260126.jpg

P3260129.jpg

P3260130.jpg

:eusa_clap

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
That's really a nice piece, Jeff. You should be proud. I especially like that you left the knots, for me that keeps the true character of the tree.
ken

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ken, thanks for your kind comments.

The knots were an experiment for me and I wanted to keep them if possible.
A little Loc-Tite 60 minute epoxy with a drop or two of Zar "Rosewood" stain and at least 24 hours or more to cure. A card scraper does a nice job cleaning up the high spots. I like their character.

I had another piece of scrap cutoff that was intended for the bottom front that had two knots and its own little "knot" cloud rise in the center, but it ended up being too short to make the miter cuts. Could've made the case a little narrower to accommodate that deficiency because I really liked it, but it was too late. It's now a router template! :BangHead:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Will almost be a shame to put books on that!
Beautiful wood.
Nicely done

I'm trying to convince the LOML who likes to "save" everything! What better place to save them than stuffed between books and photo albums in a bookcase? :eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS