Profile Required fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Since this issue is being raised, I thought I would explain my rationale. This part of a PM I sent to someone else who raised the issue. Please if, you have an issue with any of this let me know. I would prefer that you posted as a reply to this thread so other people could chime in. Remember that this site is pretty friendly, so criticism will not (so far) be met by flames:blob8: And by disagreeing with me you are not going to provoke my ire, I want constructive criticism.:crybaby2: I think during the 5 month life of this board, I've been pretty receptive to people's concerns. However, if you have a criticism about this or any topic and still feel uncomfortable voicing it in public, then let me know via PM.

County & Zip
Serves 2 purposes, first, lets the other members know your approximate location. I know that you can understand the desirability since you are the one that created the google map and put your screen name and and city on it.

Second, gives me a quick test if someone really lives in NC. Almost everyday, there is someone who tires to register by faking the info. I don't kick them out, I just ask what their interest is in this site. Some of the time, they never respond and go away. Other times, someone gives me a new perspective, That's why there are the three "extra" counties and now an official NC non-resident status, so people who have a "valid" interest can join. I am just trying to keep out the spammers, the troublemaker's etc.

Primary Reason for joining site:
Just a way for me to keep track of why people are joining so I can try to foresee site needs. If you remember, my initial scope for this site was rather limited. It has expanded because people were joining, looking for more.

How did you hear about us:

Helps me know what avenues of expansion to explore.

Birthday;
This one is of course, is questionable. The system automatically sends birthday wishes, if the info is there. And posts it on the board. I don't require the year, I just thought it would be nice for the birthday wishes to go out. But I am willing to remove that one.

Monty

New User
Monty
Like I said, I don't care about those other fields... including location/zip code etc. I understand why those fields are there. My stance is just that DOB should be optional, that's all. And the point is, a member is prevented from filling out those other fields if they don't want to provide a DOB.

In fact, I just thought of this... the only reason my DOB wasn't listed in the first place is because it wasn't a required field when you made your first forum. Any new members who want to sign up won't even be allowed to register if they aren't comfortable providing their DOB.

I KNOW that I'm excessively paranoid when it comes to personal info on the web. After all, it's not like you're asking for our credit card # or SSN or something... :roll: I had not expressed my issue with the required fields before, because it's probably irrational and I'm sort of embarrassed that things like this seem important to me. But I was forced to raise the issue when I could no longer log into the site.

No hard feelings... and if you want to send me a birthday present on January 1, that would be OK too! ;-)

clowman

Clay Lowman
I got no problem with the required fields. Althought, I can see where some people may get "spooked" out over giving a zip code. It makes it so easy to be found.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So the website automatically send a Birthday greeting?, I have been doing that myself, except mine includes $100. Don't worry about it, if you don't want it, we don't need to know if you need to sit at the kids table or not. Dave:)

(Kidding about the $100, don't PM me if you didn't get it)

I am proud of my age, and astrological sign.....Dave, Aries..the ram( groovy 70's misic playing in the background) Peace Soul Brothers.

Monty

New User
Monty
DaveO said:
So the website automatically send a Birthday greeting?, I have been doing that myself, except mine includes $100.
Um... did I mention that my birthday is tomorrow? :) :eusa_pray

:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I already sent you a gift. It's a bown bag full o .... and it is burning on your front stoop:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm gonna change my birthday to a day that I won't be at home if that's the gift you get.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS