Problems finishing Cypress

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I've been using Cypress some in my wood turning and sculpture. I like it because it's easy to find in eastern NC in large diameter logs, it fairly stable and I like it's color and grain. But, I have had problems finishing it. Mostly what I make is used indoors and I use a danish oil or a hard wax finish. I find that neither of these options stick well to cypress especially where there are knots in the wood.

Would shellac be a good solution? Can I oil over a thin coat of shellac? I'm looking for a natural look - low gloss or satin sheen at most. Any suggestions?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not sure why oil wouldn't work. Maybe there's something about cypress I don't know? AFAIK, you can put shellac on anything. I don't think you can oil over shellac, have you considered wax? Wax does really nice over shellac.

I made some cypress deck chairs and used Osmo on two and the other two varnish only (Total Boat Gleam). Of the two, the varnish looks better to me. The Osmo definitely imparted a darker color.

Osmo:
IMG_1882REDUCED.jpg

Varnish:

IMG_1941.JPG

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Not sure why oil wouldn't work. Maybe there's something about cypress I don't know? AFAIK, you can put shellac on anything. I don't think you can oil over shellac, have you considered wax? Wax does really nice over shellac.

I made some cypress deck chairs and used Osmo on two and the other two varnish only (Total Boat Gleam). Of the two, the varnish looks better to me. The Osmo definitely imparted a darker color.

Osmo:
View attachment 222483

Varnish:

View attachment 222482
these look wonderful.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I'm having problems with the end grain and any knots. Saicos is my hard wax finish of choice, which is very similar to Osmo. I've also tried pigmented wax, and even a water based pigmented finish and nothing so far has been full proof.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I'm having problems with the end grain and any knots. Saicos is my hard wax finish of choice, which is very similar to Osmo. I've also tried pigmented wax, and even a water based pigmented finish and nothing so far has been full proof.
Hmmm?! Can you help define your description? I'm trying to understand exactly what this means, even though I have no experience with cypress specifically (I will someday!)

"Nothing sticks well" means that you have actual peeling layers? No adhesion? Does it form a film, then peel?
Or does the applied liquid/gel not wet the surface? It just beads up and rolls off?
Or do you have different absorption characteristics, and therefore different levels of gloss or reflectivity?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used cypress for the drawers of the dresser in my bedroom. They are dovetailed together with router made half blind dovetails. I finished the dresser with Osmo including the drawers and the cherry I used for the outside and I had no problems. I used cypress because my wood supplier had it sawed and rough planned to about 5/8 thickness. I was tired of hauling off sawdust and getting wood a little thinner than my desired 1/2 inch thickness was attractive. The price was also good. The wood is not clear but the knots are not big and I did not use pieces with the biggest knots. Even though the wood was intended for fences it was dried to less than 10% moisture. I think that is important but I have used construction lumber some too but I try to let it dry out for 6 months or more before using it. It is sometimes 20% moisture and it will move significantly if I get in a hurry and use it anyway. But even with it I have not had problems with the finish. But my latest projects were stained black with ink and then poly.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Hmmm?! Can you help define your description? I'm trying to understand exactly what this means, even though I have no experience with cypress specifically (I will someday!)

"Nothing sticks well" means that you have actual peeling layers? No adhesion? Does it form a film, then peel?
Or does the applied liquid/gel not wet the surface? It just beads up and rolls off?
Or do you have different absorption characteristics, and therefore different levels of gloss or reflectivity?
I'm afraid that I don't have anything in front of me that I am working on currently, I'm thinking of problems I've had in the past. But I have some pieces that i will be finishing soon. I would describe it as not adhering to and or not soaking in.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I used cypress for the drawers of the dresser in my bedroom. They are dovetailed together with router made half blind dovetails. I finished the dresser with Osmo including the drawers and the cherry I used for the outside and I had no problems. I used cypress because my wood supplier had it sawed and rough planned to about 5/8 thickness. I was tired of hauling off sawdust and getting wood a little thinner than my desired 1/2 inch thickness was attractive. The price was also good. The wood is not clear but the knots are not big and I did not use pieces with the biggest knots. Even though the wood was intended for fences it was dried to less than 10% moisture. I think that is important but I have used construction lumber some too but I try to let it dry out for 6 months or more before using it. It is sometimes 20% moisture and it will move significantly if I get in a hurry and use it anyway. But even with it I have not had problems with the finish. But my latest projects were stained black with ink and then poly.
What type of ink are you using? I've had some success staining cypress black with india ink with I believe has Shellac in it.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I have turned Cypress into bowls and used shellac as a finish with good results. I generally use two coats of Zinsser sanding sealer followed by multiple coats of Zinsser shellac. You can reduce the shine by using a very fine light sanding. I don't think oil would penetrate the shellac and may end up being a mess.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I like using waterlox on cypress (for some reason the ceiling look more orange than it is in the picture—waterlox did darken the lumber slightly).

This is the porch ceiling at my last house. I finished after installing and will not do that again! Current house I finished the boards before installing.

1697194258076.jpeg

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
The lack of adhesion you observed could be due to having too high of a moisture content but could also be higher levels of sap remaining in this species and some woods like aromatic cedar can have its own oils trying to push out. Ideally get a moisture meter and test that first, otherwise try test pieces by wiping down w/ mineral spirits, denatured alcohol or acetone prior to finishing with various finishes you wish to try. Utilizing these tests will help answer your finishing question, unless the wood is pushing out sap/oils overtime thus delaminating your film finish, in which case an oil finish that you reapply periodically would be you best option (IMO)

In the end the easiest fool proof option is to do what most do and use no finish and let it grey out naturally unless you hate that look. I have a cypress Adirondack chair that I still use to this day that has lived it's entire life outside. When I get tired of the grey look I'll bleach it then pressure wash it.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
The lack of adhesion you observed could be due to having too high of a moisture content but could also be higher levels of sap remaining in this species and some woods like aromatic cedar can have its own oils trying to push out. Ideally get a moisture meter and test that first, otherwise try test pieces by wiping down w/ mineral spirits, denatured alcohol or acetone prior to finishing with various finishes you wish to try. Utilizing these tests will help answer your finishing question, unless the wood is pushing out sap/oils overtime thus delaminating your film finish, in which case an oil finish that you reapply periodically would be you best option (IMO)

In the end the easiest fool proof option is to do what most do and use no finish and let it grey out naturally unless you hate that look. I have a cypress Adirondack chair that I still use to this day that has lived it's entire life outside. When I get tired of the grey look I'll bleach it then pressure wash it.
I believe my problems are being caused by the sap/oils in the cypress.
thanks for this Jeremy

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS