preserving an antique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
My in-laws gave us a plow, it was used by her grandfather, pulled by a mule. (she has pictures somewhere). Anyway I had expressed an interest in it years ago when I saw it in their old barn, for a garden decoration. They brought it to us this weekend. The wood handles are faded and rough, the blade and metal parts are rusted. I would like to preserve the old aged look, at the same time preventing it from aging farther. It will be sitting in a flower bed in the elements, what can I spray it with that would be clear and protect it?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Oscoe on the metal. Maybe some kind of oil on the wood? Just keeping it dry would be the best alternative.

Rob

New User
Rob
What is Oscoe? I was thinking something to spray the whole thing with, preserve it?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Sorry, I think it's "ospho" It will "freeze" the rust and protect the metal parts. Not for wood. Australian Timber Oil will also protect the wood, but, it may change the look some.

Rob

New User
Rob
Ahhh, I've used that before, IIRC it turns the rust black, not sure I want to do that, but it does stop the rusting process.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
After it's cleaned have you thought about a coat of clear Krylon on the metal? I used the Australian Timber Oil on some sideboards for our company truck and was very pleased. It will leave a slight yellowish stain but if it's an old plow that won't matter much. You could apply it without shaking the can and leave the solids in the bottom.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you put it outside it will deteriorate.

If you want to preserve it build a shed cover for it and raise it off the ground at least a foot.

No need to put anything on it as long as you keep it dry.

Anything you put on it will take away from the antique look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS