Prepare the stable ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
... there are more horses about to rock their way out of my shop!

I swore I'd never do the rocking horses again ... okay, I lied (to myself). After building three last year, I figured I was done. Nope.

Decided to take on the project again to use some oak I had around the shop. The plan is to give one to our friends daughter and son -- and probably sell the other.

Today I spend the afternoon milling the lumber down, rough-cutting on the bandsaw and gluing up the body.

This project also let me put the Woodmaster 718 to "real" use. It worked like a champ and boy was it nice to have the extra inches for the w-i-d-e boards.

IMG_8260.JPG

IMG_8262.JPG

IMG_8259.JPG

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looking good so far! But eh, looking at the third picture, it's time to muck out the stall :)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looking good Jeremy. I woul not keep them around very long though. Get rid of them fast as they can be expensive to feed.:rotflm:

Last edited:

thrytis

New User
Eric
Nice clamping job. I had a horrible time trying to get decent pressure while gluing the different parts of the body together. If i ever do it again, i'm going to leave straight, parallel edges to glue up then trim after.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Nice clamping job. I had a horrible time trying to get decent pressure while gluing the different parts of the body together. If i ever do it again, i'm going to leave straight, parallel edges to glue up then trim after.

Funny you say that ... I got going on this project and just started cutting away ... then when I got to the glue up part, I remember how I told myself on the first batch of horses that I'd "do it different if I ever did it again". Well, I forgot and the clamping fiasco came true again. Luckily I was able to get just enough pressure to keep them glued up fairly well. I used a loose tenon pair for the strength.

Yesterday (Sunday), I made the mane and tail "hair" pieces, cut the dados for the inlaid "straps", sanded down the horse bodies, and cut out the "saddles".

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I should make one for my granddaughter. Or you could sell me your "extra" real cheap! :eek:ccasion1

Seeing how you like making them so much, maybe you should market them to all your customers that got new baby signs!

pete

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Seeing how you like making them so much, maybe you should market them to all your customers that got new baby signs!

pete

You joke (and I laugh :gar-La;), but I've had enough requests that I could start a horse business (the wooden kind). The problem is they take a fair amount of wood and a decent amount of time (so much sanding!).

And Pete ... you have to build your own. I can only imagine that yours would be scrolled and carved to look more like a art gallery piece than a toy!! :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS