Pre-gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, my birthday is the weekend, but unfortunately, I have to go out of town for work. Fortunately, the LOML and my two girls went ahead and gave me part of my birthday present early. It was too big for her to pick up with the two kids, so tomorrow (took the day off) I will go and pick it up.

It looks like the bandsaw is coming as well, so I feel special. Now I have to decide whether to keep my existing bandsaw (I think I might, don't know).

Unfortunately, this means, I have 2 220V circuits to put in as well as tie it in to my dust collection for 2 additional ports.

IMG_7346.jpg

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Congrats on the new additions. You can always keep the bandsaw and trade for something else you want. Happy Birthday!!!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrat on upcoming b-day and the new toys! I know you've been working hard lately, so it's great your family is showing their appreciation:icon_thum

All in all YOU SUCK!

And I'm glad for you :mrgreen:
Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, I now have a 3 HP Delta X5 shaper. It is one HEAVY beast. It broke one tie down strap on the way home, and I almost dropped it off the back of my truck.8-O

The LOML did do her research on it, I will give her that. She showed me articles she had checked out comparing it to comparably priced others. The one thing I find strange, is that Amazon was not the cheapest place to get it. Additionally, Amazon no longer offers free super saver shipping on the big tools which I did not realize. They now charge $100 for shipping. Ultimately, she got it at Klingspor in Raleigh and with the discounts they had $10 off for every $100 spent and the $100 Delta rebate, it was a much better price than anywhere else she could find. She did get it with the mobile base (part of the Delta rebate requirement), and I am glad she did.

Here it is.

shaper.JPG

shaper_w_fence.JPG

Here is a close up of the fence/hold down assembly. The fence itself weighs well over 50 lbs. It has a lot of fine adjustments, and the aluminum faces are very nice IMO.

shaper_fence.JPG

Finally, when I went to pick it up at Klingspor in Raleigh, I decided I have to have some shaper cutters, so I bought a door set while I was there. Fortunately, I had a 10 percent off coupon so I felt very special.:eusa_danc

shaper_cutters.JPG

Now, what to do with all the router bits I have for raised panel doors.:eusa_thin

Monty

New User
Monty
Man oh man... that's a nice machine! Those extension wings look like they provide plenty of room, too.

dtomasch

New User
David
COOL,
I'm jealous but really"i'm done with tools now" after my purchse. *NOTE WHEN MOVING LARGE HEAVY EXPENSIVE TOOLS WITH STRAPS: SHARP EDGES+NYLON STRAP+ROAD TIME=BROKEN STRAP=BROKEN TOOL=BROKEN HEART.......DIG? I did the same thing:BangHead:
Congrats, and remenber, blood on the inside.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
COOL,
*NOTE WHEN MOVING LARGE HEAVY EXPENSIVE TOOLS WITH STRAPS: SHARP EDGES+NYLON STRAP+ROAD TIME=BROKEN STRAP=BROKEN TOOL=BROKEN HEART.......DIG? I did the same thing:BangHead:

Boy do I dig. Nylon straps do not do worth a flip.

Congrats, and remenber, blood on the inside..

That statement sums up my concerns with having a shaper in the first place. I have wanted one for a long time, but I have read a lot of horror stories about them which has made me a bit leery. I cranked it up tonight, and with a 4 1/2" cutter flying around it is an intimidating sight. I will be treating it with a LOT of respect, more so than any other tool I own.

dtomasch

New User
David
Travis,
I've done a good bit of work on a shaper, and they are wicked. Sharp knives are a must. Feather boards, when possible, and preferabally a feeder. They're expensive, but, IMO, wellworth it for a piece of mind. And the minute you feel like you are doing somthing wrong or goofy stop. It's like a chainsaw...no minor accidents. Just be safe and plan your cuts before turning on the beast and you'll be ok. Have fun. If you need to get rid of your door bits, I might be interested!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nice toys.:icon_thum Good luck with them and use caution with the shaper.
AND :new_birth Enjoy both the tools and birthday :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors