POWERTEC Slow Speed Bench Grinder, 8-Inch -- $49.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I ordered this grinder from Woot.com the other day. Does anyone else have/ use this particular one. Just wondering if it is a good brand. Thanks. Now I just need a wolverine sharpening system.

awldune

Sam
User
I ordered this grinder from Woot.com the other day. Does anyone else have/ use this particular one. Just wondering if it is a good brand. Thanks. Now I just need a wolverine sharpening system.

I don't know "POWERTEC" but it looks suspiciously similar to my Rikon. I am very pleased with my Rikon.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Heavy. I'll try it out tomorrow.

WP_20150420_002_web.jpg

secondo

New User
Hugh
I agree with awldune. I was just logging on to say that it has an uncanny resemblance to my Rikon (which I also love). If it is just a rebadged Rikon that is a great deal. (And even if not, it is still probably a great deal).

Rick M

New User
Rick
Runs fairly smooth. The left wheel has a tiny amount of wobble, both wheels need to be trued. It's no Baldor but for $50 I am a very happy camper. I don't know about the Rikon but I think these are the same as the Woodcraft grinders.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I agree with awldune. I was just logging on to say that it has an uncanny resemblance to my Rikon (which I also love). If it is just a rebadged Rikon that is a great deal. (And even if not, it is still probably a great deal).

Just be aware when price comparing that it is not uncommon for the (presumably) Chinese factories to manufacture different grades of what is otherwise an identical item. Sometimes a seemingly identical and cheaper item really is identical in every respect, but it is very common for the cheaper run to be where the higher quality run's rejects get sold off (rather than scrapped). In other cases it may be that the cheaper run has skipped refining processes (such as progressive grinding and flattening/smoothing) that the more expensive version received (which is pretty much the difference between a Jet and a Powermatic, for example). There may, or may not, be additional quality differences hidden from view, but that would require detailed teardowns to know for certain.

And then there are those times when they really are identical in every respect except price. But it makes it challenging to compare on price and appearances alone.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I got mine in the mail a few days ago. Same issues as Rick mentioned. Seems to run quiet and smooth but there is slightly more wobble in the left wheel. Anyone think that will be an issue using this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got mine in the mail a few days ago. Same issues as Rick mentioned. Seems to run quiet and smooth but there is slightly more wobble in the left wheel. Anyone think that will be an issue using this grinder to sharpen lathe chisels?
Nope, as long as it is not enough to "Bounce" or move the grinder.

If you dress that wheel square to your tool rest or Wolverine jig (you do have a wolverine-style jig, (actual or DIYed) right?)
You will have NO problem sharpening your tools!!!

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Nope, as long as it is not enough to "Bounce" or move the grinder.

If you dress that wheel square to your tool rest or Wolverine jig (you do have a wolverine-style jig, (actual or DIYed) right?)
You will have NO problem sharpening your tools!!!
Haven't gotten a jig yet. Going to either buy or make one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS