Powermatic 66 with router table and a DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Normal house current is single phase. Industrial/commercial is 3 phase power. Have to have a phase converter or have the power company bring in 3 phase power (as well as change out electrical panels) to use it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A little bit I found about about 3-phase power, because I really didn't know much about it either.

Three-phase is much more costly to install, but is much more efficient for high horsepower motor loads.

Have you ever done any singing in rounds? ''Row, row, row your boat, merrily, merrily....'' When the first group reaches merrily, the second starts ''Row''. Eventually you have 3 different groups singing the same thing at different times. So 3 phase. In addition to the familiar sine wave of single phase, 3 phase has a second phase starting 120 degrees after the first, and a third phase at 240 degrees.

The big advantage to 3 phase is that motors can be smaller for the same horse power. Just as a single phase AC motor is smaller than a similar DC motor, so a 3 phase motor is smaller than a single phase. Airplanes use electric motors with even more phases where weight is even more important then size. In factories, it is common to have many high loads, and most of them use 3 phase motors and 240 or 480 volts.

Also, motors dont need a capacitor to start on 3 phase

Single phase 120/240 volt service at 100 amps can provide 24000 watts of power.
The largest single phase motor available is approximately 10 HP.

Typical 3 phase 120/208 volt service at 100 amps can provide 35984 watts of power.
3 Phase motors are available up to 3000 HP.

*The above were copied/pasted from various sources*

And of course : Three-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Interesting. I don't know that I have seen many if any single phase motors above 5 HP. 100 Amps at single phase would be a big set of wires straight to a motor. For my shop at 100 amps, I ran #4, but the size to a machine would be even larger IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors