Possibly non-existent router bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooraysimpsons

New User
Paul
I am looking for an Ogee router bit. I can find the profile I want but it always has a 1/2 shank size on it. Unfortunately my router is for 1/4 sized bits. I don't want to buy a new router just to find to get a matching bit, but I also really want to match an existing piece of furniture. Can anyone suggest some sites to look at that have extensive router bit selections?

Links to router bit profile I am looking for but with a 1/2 shank
Item#-180-2705 http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v169-1802/ea_-_ogee
Click ogee bits then item#3228 http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog.html#catimgs

Thanks

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Does it have to be EXACT or can you tolerate 1/16 or 1/32?

So far I've looked at Freud, Rockler, Grizzly, and acouple others.

What kinda router do you have? Can you get a 1/2" collet for it?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Paul.

I checked MLCS but I too couldn't see the exact size that you mentioned (Whiteside #3288).

What kind of a router do you have? Maybe picking up a 1/2" collet along with the 1/2" shank bit may be a better option. (If your router will accept a 1/2" bit.) You will notice an improvement when running 1/2" shanks in your router. A lot less bit flex!

(Also. You aren't that far from Cary if you can bring your work over here to my place, you are welcome to use one of my routers.)

Wayne

hooraysimpsons

New User
Paul
Hello,
My router is the following http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44914. Its just a cheap one but satisfies my needs (minus the ability to accept a 1/2 inch shank).

Normally, I would accept the offer to use someone else's tools but this is the first piece I have used a router on so I wouldn't want to chance messing up your equipment somehow.

I have heard about the benefits of a 1/2" router/bits but I don't use one enough to justify the cost at this point (unless you know of a good buy somewhere).

As far as how exact on the measurements of the bit. I can accept some differences. I am just trying to match the existing piece as closely as possible. So anything close, that is a 1/4" shank, would be helpful as well in case I have to go that route.

Thanks

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
Take a look on woodline.com, most of their router bits are available with both a 1/4" and 1/2" shank. I have several of their bits and they seem to be good quality for the money.

hooraysimpsons

New User
Paul
^ I didn't see what I need at woodline.com

^^The first option was a roman ogee where the concavity of one of the curves is flipped.

However, the second one appears to be exactly what I am looking for. I had to call to get more details on the dimensions such as cutting depth and I'm pretty sure it's going to work out perfectly (at $20 with free shipping at least it was cheaper than some of the other options).

Thanks Bas and everyone else for your help.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I suspect from both my results and the others that you will not find an exact match. If you can accept some small changes then maybe:dontknow:

I really suggest that you get a router that takes 1/2 and 1/4" bits. go over to the big boxes and look at ryobi, Black & Decker, skil, etc. Any of these will provide as good performance as your Harbor Freight.

Also, if you act quickly, you might still be able to get this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS