Porter Cable Scroll Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I've asked before, and the resounding advice was to start with a dewalt 788. Since that is not in the budget, can anyone give me an honest opinion on the porter cable 16" variable speed currently sold at lowes? I have found one locally for about $100, maybe a little more. I am interested in cutting Christmas ornaments and such, maybe a few pen blanks. If this tool a decent investment?

Thanks,

Adam

3E93Kf3M45I45H15J4cbn7ab0d2646016106a.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am not familiar with that particular saw. These are the things to look for:

Is the on/off switch within easy reach?
Does it use plane end blades?
Are the blades easy to insert? (tool less) Sometimes you will have to thread the blade through the wood for an interior cut.
Is the tension easy to adjust?
Veriable speed is nice, not necessary.

These are the basics. One of my favorite scroll saws I ever owned was an old craftsman single speed with pin end blades. I got rid of it because the blades were hard to find.

I hope this helps with your decision.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I'm not familiar with that saw either.

But, if you can get into scrolling for 100 bucks it might be worth it. What Berta said is all true but much of her suggestions are what we learn from the saw we had that didn't have too much in the way of conveniences.

I think one of the most important issues in a scroll saw is vibration and the less the better. It seems that the heavier the saw the less vibration. However, someone might dispute that theory. Also, dust blowers are pretty crucial to be able to see the line you are sawing to.

Good luck! I think scrolling has a dark side of it's own:gar-La;

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I agree with you Barbara! Vibration can be dealt with, and I forgot about dust blowers.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The biggest knock on the PC saw is the dust blower. Read a number of stories of a scrollsaw site where they just stop after a couple days. Now there is a easy fix by buying a small fish tank aerator to us as your blower. What ever saw you buy don't get cheap blades. The samples that come with the saw or available at Lowes, HD, and your hardware store are cheap. I prefer Fly Dutchman blades. #5 reverse tooth or ultra reverse are the best all around blades IMHO

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I have this saw...bought it a few years ago on sale at lowes. I am not a huge scrollsawer, so this fits me nicely. couldn't justify spending the Dewalt money either. I am not overly fond of the blade changing, but for what I have used the saw for it works great. I have had no problems with the blower on mine.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My first scroll saw was a Craftsman bench top cheapie that took pin end blades. I bought it to make a clock that looked like a very rare, antique gasoline engine I once owned. I didn't know anything about scrolling, saws, patterns, or anything else connected with scroll sawing--I made furniture, built farm structures, remodeled, etc. The clock turned out well,and I enjoyed making it from my own design. It was an experience I would have missed if I had to wait until I could buy "proper" equipment. The DW788 was a machine I got when I bought my brothers woodworking equipment, and only started to use when I decided to cut a few small clocks to give as Christmas gifts. The addiction began! If you feel you can't make anything worthwhile without having an expensive tool, you will miss out on a very rewarding and enjoyable hobby. Scrolling started with a hand held fretsaw, or a coping saw. Many, many very beautiful items were, and still are, made by those folks who can't afford a powered scroll saw. Don't believe you can't enjoy or not make something nice unless you spend a lot of money. Buy what your budget will allow and begin enjoying the wonderful and rewarding world of scrol sawing. One word of advice about the saw--make sure it uses plain end blades, not pin end blades. The entry hole needed for pin end blades makes doing small interior cuts impossible. HAPPY SAWDUSTING!

RickC

New User
Rick
Still might want to consider the HF 16 inch scroll saw. Online, today 12/10, it is $64.99. Should you find one of those 20% off one item coupons, I think it could be applied to drop it even further. While it takes the pin type blades, it also has the plain end adapters with it. You could get in even easier on your budget.

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
Depends on how much you are going to use it.

If you just want it around in case you need to make an internal cut now and then, a cheaper saw would be okay.

But, if you are going to use it a lot and do intricate fretwork, get a better saw.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS