Portamate storage racks $19.98 clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
$65 truck ship for me, don't see any way to change that so I cleared the cart.

Will see if I can pick one up somewhere.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Rookie here. I snagged a couple of those racks and was curious what you experts thought about spacing. I have a small stack of rough cut lumber, and some of the boards are 12'. What kind of spacing between supports is ideal to reduce sag in the boards? Maybe that isn't an issue at all...just seems like it would be. I was thinking of installing three to four supports every 2-3 feet, but that may be overkill.

Brogan

New User
I would go every 2nd or 3rd stud to give some flexibility with storing shorter and longer pieces, depending on the shortest piece you plan to store.
Although I guess you could also put a piece of ply between the supports as a make shift shelf.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Wow, FedEx just delivered two up here for zero shipping cost - it was going to be about $7 but once I signed in as a MyLowes customer which gets me 5% off on all purchases if I use their credit card, the shipping cost went to zero. Did have to pay taxes, but that was minor. Something must be going on in your area with Lowes.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

I ordered two earlier today online and picked them up at the Kernersville store later the same day. I had a similar $60 truck fee to have them delivered, but pickup up in the store was free.

attachment.php

Attachments

• lowes.png
    lowes.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 197

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Wow, FedEx just delivered two up here for zero shipping cost - it was going to be about $7 but once I signed in as a MyLowes customer which gets me 5% off on all purchases if I use their credit card, the shipping cost went to zero. Did have to pay taxes, but that was minor. Something must be going on in your area with Lowes.

Might be because of your credit card usage rather than mylowes number.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Just picked up one from the SE Charlotte Lowe’s on 74. was not in the location indicated on their app. Employee helped me find it, was next to the shop vacs. Probably had 6-8 more in stock.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine got here yesterday via the friendly FedEx driver - free shipping from the Christiansburg store. That's a 30 minute drive from here so the free shipping was really nice. Have to be a MyLowes customer for the free shipping, but MyLowes doesn't cost anything.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Question on these, I picked up 2 of these the other day and it got me to thinking about how much load a standard 2x4 wall can support before having structural issues. Wood is very heavy and these racks will hold quite a bit of weight.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Sir if you can break a 2x4 across the 3 1/2 width, you have exceeded the entire structural strength of your building :D:gar-Bi:gar-La; no worries

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I got my new wood racks installed and loaded up with wood. The wife was happy to help since it got some of my lumber out of the way in the basement. As far as the question about how much wood a wall can hold, I don't know the answer, but this wall is loaded up pretty good.

The wall has wood racks on both sides.
20180122_204643.jpg

This was the rack that was just put up using the wood racks featured in this thread and an additional rack that I picked up a while ago when Grizzly had a sale. The longer boards are 13 feet in length.
20180122_204650.jpg

The lumber rack on the other side of the wall has been up for a while now.
20180122_204708.jpg

I'm not sure if knowing that I built the wall the lumber racks are mounted on makes me feel more or less worried. :)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Jeremy, thanks for the pictures, looks like I should be able to get some wood off the floor and up on racks without worries of my shop falling down.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
How much wood could a wood rack hold if a wood rack could hold wood?

Sorry - I just couldn't resist.

On a more serious note I go a couple of sets 2 yeas ago and they are awesome, especially for the price.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
After numerous setbacks I finally got a chance to move some wood up onto the wall. Really hoping the screws hold :). I didn't trust it enough to put all of the Mahogany I had up there but this definitely clears up some floor space.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 178

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks great!

I had the same concern so I opted for 4" lag screws into the studs and have had no issues over 2 years with stability.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS