portable dust collector ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
Does anyone know anything about a small portable dust collector at Sears? Its 3/4 hp and seems to be a fairly good deal for $169. It looks like it would work for spot work (planer, joiner & band saw) . Also does anyone
have any info. on the Oneida "dust deputy" that attaches to a shop-vac and claims to trap 99% of dust before getting to vac. www.dustdeputy.com Trying to clean things up on a budget

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Does anyone know anything about a small portable dust collector at Sears? Its 3/4 hp and seems to be a fairly good deal for $169. It looks like it would work for spot work (planer, joiner & band saw) . Also does anyone
have any info. on the Oneida "dust deputy" that attaches to a shop-vac and claims to trap 99% of dust before getting to vac. www.dustdeputy.com Trying to clean things up on a budget

I'm not so sure 170 dollars for 3/4 HP is a good deal. Several folks have bought the Harbor Freight 2HP DC for somewhere around 150. I have the Griz 2HP which is essentially the same machine. I would recommend the HF 2HP, upgraded bags and a garbage can cyclone. I bought my upgraded DC bags from Process Systems http://www.processsys.com/dust.htm They are a huge improvement over the stock bags.

I think that the combination of a trash can cyclone (drop out heavier particles) and upgraded bags (better airflow, better filtration) and a larger DC will yield the best bang for the buck.

The problem with small canisters/dust bags is that they fill up QUICKLY when dimension planing. I have gone the same route as you are considering and ended up over-spending to get where I am now.

The larger DC improves dust removal throughout the shop but makes a world of difference on the bandsaw, which I find generates a lot of fine dust. I really need to add overhead collection to my TS then I will be all set.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors