Poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Wanted to let you guys know 5 - 32"x8' poplar logs from the same tree came in today. These logs are no childs play, their huge.

Please let me know if your interested in wide board poplar.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Couple of questions for Sawmaster Kyle (stop that :slap:, you know you are)

32" dia logs like this I should be able to dress down a 24 x 28 cant right? There is very little taper in these logs and we had to cut em back to 8' just so we could move them around... geeze...

Skim a little off the top to get a good wide opening face, flip her over twice (first opening face down), skim some more off that top (second opening face (24" thickness), flip once saw down till square on three sides (third face), flip up the last side and let her rip?

Seeing the jaws on my WM will only open a little more than 24" with the guards off, that'll be about the widest dressed board I could cut. Having cut very little poplar and no poplar this wide before. 10 degree hook with a 18~20 degree set should work ok? Go slow and pour on the go go juice (joy dish washing soap and water)? Any other things I should know before I bust into this beast.

I'm kinda anxious to bust into one of these bad boys. I might find my $20.00 gold piece in something this old :icon_thum.

Thanks

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Couple of questions for Sawmaster Kyle (stop that :slap:, you know you are)

32" dia logs like this I should be able to dress down a 24 x 28 cant right? There is very little taper in these logs and we had to cut em back to 8' just so we could move them around... geeze...

Skim a little off the top to get a good wide opening face, flip her over twice (first opening face down), skim some more off that top (second opening face (24" thickness), flip once saw down till square on three sides (third face), flip up the last side and let her rip?

Seeing the jaws on my WM will only open a little more than 24" with the guards off, that'll be about the widest dressed board I could cut. Having cut very little poplar and no poplar this wide before. 10 degree hook with a 18~20 degree set should work ok? Go slow and pour on the go go juice (joy dish washing soap and water)? Any other things I should know before I bust into this beast.

I'm kinda anxious to bust into one of these bad boys. I might find my $20.00 gold piece in something this old :icon_thum.

Thanks

At the most it will be 24x28.. more than likely for a clean cant it 4" off each face to start would make it a 24x24..box the heart 1/2", flip up and get about 60-70% 12" wide qsawn.. To make it easier move one of the cants off the mill once the heart is boxed for easier sawing.. since poplar saws like butter a 10 degree rake or hook will work just fine for medium hard to medium soft hardwoods..anything harder it can rise in the cut unless you tension like you normally do. I have been experimenting with 8 degree hook or rake for walnut white oak ash and hickory.. really too much bite for woods like poplar but seems to work pretty nicely for woak.

I have been trying a lubrication mix of HIGH ADHESION CHAIN SAW BAR OIL, with 50% kerosene or diesel fuel. Apply the solution with a spray bottle to BOTH sides of the band saw blade about once every four minutes with a hand spray bottle, while the machine is running. APPLY AGAIN when the sound of cutting starts increasing. No pitch buildup; No rusted or pitted band saw blades. I also run pinesol in the water drip and added some windshield wiper fluid which seems to work better than the diesel mix..

DavidF

New User
David
At the most it will be 24x28.. more than likely for a clean cant it 4" off each face to start would make it a 24x24..box the heart 1/2", flip up and get about 60-70% 12" wide qsawn.. To make it easier move one of the cants off the mill once the heart is boxed for easier sawing.. since poplar saws like butter a 10 degree rake or hook will work just fine for medium hard to medium soft hardwoods..anything harder it can rise in the cut unless you tension like you normally do. I have been experimenting with 8 degree hook or rake for walnut white oak ash and hickory.. really too much bite for woods like poplar but seems to work pretty nicely for woak.

I have been trying a lubrication mix of HIGH ADHESION CHAIN SAW BAR OIL, with 50% kerosene or diesel fuel. Apply the solution with a spray bottle to BOTH sides of the band saw blade about once every four minutes with a hand spray bottle, while the machine is running. APPLY AGAIN when the sound of cutting starts increasing. No pitch buildup; No rusted or pitted band saw blades. I also run pinesol in the water drip and added some windshield wiper fluid which seems to work better than the diesel mix..

It's like a whole new language:lol:

J

jeff...

Kyle, thanks man :icon_thum so QS'ing poplar is worth the extra trouble? Never really noticed anything unique like ray flake when flat sawing poplar and I got down near the center. I understand QS lumber has it's benifits but if it's not for appearance then I have to question if it worth the extra trouble and waste. As far as lube, I hear you - I seem to having good results with joy dishwashing soap and water, so I think I'll stick with it for the time being. Joy is some right slick stuff :-D

Thanks

J

jeff...

I got prices on this poplar:

* flatsawn green fresh off the log wide board (boards not to exceed 24" wide) $1.20 a BF
* QS green fresh off the log (boards not to exceed 12" wide and may contain one natural edge) $1.50 a BF

Standard disclaimer applies, offer is good to NCWoodworker members only. We have not sawed the logs yet, so we can include custom quarter inch sawing starting at (4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 12/4, long bowl blank, etc...) within reason, at no additional cost. However if you want a bunch of 2x2’s or veneer or something over 12/4 thick, we’ll need to talk.

We're really humping it right now out at the log yard, all the mills are cutting as much as they can. There's a few week backlog right now so you could expect order fufillment sometime after that.

Thanks

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Sounds good to me Jeff,
Put me down for 200 b.f. - any of that black walnut left??

Wanted to let you guys know 5 - 32"x8' poplar logs from the same tree came in today. These logs are no childs play, their huge.

Please let me know if your interested in wide board poplar.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Sounds good to me Jeff,
Put me down for 200 b.f. - any of that black walnut left??

Hey Mark was good to talk with you on the phone and thanks for posting here. Per our phone conversation, I'll cut up 200 BF of 4/4 QS Poplar, as wide as I can get em some of the boards may have natural edge on side.

As for BW yes there's quite a bit left out there. Let me know if you would like for me to slide some of that into your poplar order as well

Thanks.

J

jeff...

Mark per our 2nd phone conversation, I also have you down for 100 BF of 4/4 BW. Just posting it here so I can keep track.

Thanks

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
how long would you want to wait on green poplar at 5/4 to dry? now thats its turning summer... that is air drying! thanks! i need to cut about 500 bdft more for my homes trim and caseing!!

J

jeff...

Mark, I started QS'ing your poplar today. OK I have to admit I ain't never seen QS poplar before, till today. There is NO cathedral grain, it's straight grain that runs the entire length of the board. Pretty cool looking, noticeably different. The Log was a little over 16' and I cut it back off center :cry:, one log is a tad under 8' and the other is over 8' . Is it cool if some of your boards are under 8'?

Per our phone call new totals are 150 BF 4/4 QS Poplar and 150 BF 4/4 BW.

Thanks

J

jeff...

how long would you want to wait on green poplar at 5/4 to dry? now thats its turning summer... that is air drying! thanks! i need to cut about 500 bdft more for my homes trim and caseing!!

Dave, let me know if your still looking for 500 BF of poplar - now that I QS'ed some, I would recommend it be QS, it's pretty cool looking. If you want 500 BF, I might as well just go ahead and purchase a 1000 BF from a logger and go ahead and go with a KD QS poplar run. I don't think it would take all that long to dry, then you would have it work right away.

Thanks

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeff,
Any chance you can get some of this in the kiln? I need to rebuild a whole kitchen's worth of painted cabinet doors/drawer fronts. KD, QS Poplar would be pretty nice stock to use. If so I need 150bf 4/4 (75bf of this can be narrow(Rails/Styles), 75bf wider is better).
Let me know.
Thanks!
Mark

J

jeff...

Did some rough figuring and was wondering if there is enough interest for 1500 BF 4/4 and 5/4 QS KD poplar for around the 2.65 ~ 2.80 a BF? If there is I'll start a new thread.

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, according to my USDA Air Drying handbook, at this time of the year in in the Mid-south, yellow poplar should air dry from green to 20% MC in 40 - 70 days.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS