Poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Anyone interested in a couple 100 BF of poplar? I'll be slicing lumber off the logs tomorrow, PM me know if your interested.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Can it be kiln dried???? If so, then YES I am very interested!
I got a painted Princess bed to make really soon for my 5 year old.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I went ahead and cut it for myself, first thing I've cut for myself in a long time.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I'm in for some green poplar, but you are a bit of a trip from me. Might have to do the pony express.

J

jeff...

I don't know if it is difficult to AD or how much it likes to twist and curl... but I do know it's a fast drier, it can take a beating...

joneill

New User
Jeff
How can I tell if a log is poplar (sorry new to this)? My brother in law felled a tree outside his house (nearly 3ft in diameter at the base) and I heard that the people he hired to drop it said it was poplar. It has purple streaks running radially and furrowed bark (I think furrowed is the word...)

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
It is difficult to air dry popular. It likes to dance the twist.

Jeff :eusa_danc

I think that has to do with the cut not the method of drying the species. Poplar is one of the most stable woods to dry along with pine. If you decide to dehydrate it in full sun all wood will curl and twist.

You can dry it as fast as you desire without the worry of of honeycomb, checking or other issues associated with oak.

pine is pretty much the same way. little or no degrade and a very fast kiln schedule.

J

jeff...

How can I tell if a log is poplar (sorry new to this)? My brother in law felled a tree outside his house (nearly 3ft in diameter at the base) and I heard that the people he hired to drop it said it was poplar. It has purple streaks running radially and furrowed bark (I think furrowed is the word...)

Sounds like poplar - a picture would help identify the tree / log

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Do you have plans or pictures of this bed? I may have a need myself there.....

No plans, just ideas in my head. Pictures when completed or at least started. We are considering either a loft bed or a trundle type with storage underneath. The Princess likes the loft idea...I guess she'll fall on her head only once :roll: The trundle style gives some additional storage but not as much as the loft style. Also there is a ceiling fan to deal with :saw::dontknow:

J

jeff...

Dave I wished I could help you out with some KD poplar but I don't have any... sorry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave I wished I could help you out with some KD poplar but I don't have any... sorry

Yeah you suck...not!! I planed up a bunch of the QSRO I got from you a few months ago. That is some beautiful wood. Many 8' boards without a single defect to cut around. That bathroom shelf I just made came out of one single board....great color match :icon_thum

Thanks for what you do :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS