Pony Tools is suspending operations effective immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
I just received this email from the good folks at Easy Wood Tools, which was acquired in July 2015 by Pony. Sad day.

I am writing to inform you that on May 19, 2016, Adjustable Clamp Company d/b/a Pony Tools Inc. informed its Chicago employees that it was suspending operations in Chicago effective immediately. While this step was necessary due to issues unique to the Chicago business, the Company's Easy Wood Tools division remains open and continues to operate its business. It is our hope that there will be minimal, if any, disruption to the business of Easy Wood Tools. This suspension of operations in Chicago has not affected our ability to fill Easy Wood Tools orders.

The company is looking at all options in order to enable Easy Wood Tools to continue to operate. We are hopeful that you will continue to support Easy Wood Tools during this transition and we appreciate your past support. We will put forth our best efforts to keep you updated as more information becomes available.

http://www.ponytools.com/

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got that email myself also. Hopefully EWT will survive even if the parent company doesn't. If not, they've spawned a whole generation of knock-offs. Not the legacy they would want, but it advanced the art.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Oh dear. I've enjoyed using their pipe clamp ends in many scenarios including my workbench. I hope this doesn't mean an end of those.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Easy Wood Tool's Facebook page links the announcement, too.

Looks to be simply another case of moving manufacturing operations to China from the USA.

As you know I went with Pony on behalf of EWT to Shanghai last year. I was not privy to any discussions about the clamp side of the business, but I can tell you that the reason for my presence there was to introduce American Made EWT products to the Chinese consumer market. EWT founder Craig Jackson is a close friend of mine and I have heard it directly that EWT will continue to operate, just as it has since the beginning, in Kentucky - regardless of activity within Pony.

I do not know what the ownership status of EWT will be going forward, but I assume with troubles inside Pony that EWT ownership could be transferred back to Craig.

Bad management can happen to any company, and I don't think it is appropriate to jump to conclusions prematurely. Suspending a company usually means that internal restructuring is occurring before the whole ship gets sunk. The last conversation I had with a Pony executive was that they would not send production off shore. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS