Poly/Composite columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I haven't ever purchased that particular product, but I have found Stock Building Supplies to often be cheaper on speciality items like that than the BORGS. You might call the Yonkers Rd. location and see what they can do for you
Raleigh

3000 Yonkers Road
Raleigh, NC 27604-3232

PH: 919-828-7471
FAX: 919-856-0951
Hours: M-F 7am-4pm, Saturday and Sunday Closed

I might be able to help you out with a contractors discount, if they have a suitable item in stock.
Dave:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Are you sure that is what is on your house? Most columns are not the same diameter over the length- the Greeks and the eye determined the shape. The fiberglass ones are about the same price and the proper shape. Of course if it is just for a shed . . . .

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i saw a bunch at hte habitat for humainity in aberdeen nc a while back don't know if they are still there, about an hour south of raliegh

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Thanks for everyone responding! Dave I'll check with Stock and maybe give you a call. Thanks once again. Alan, I guess you're right and they aren't exactly like the ones on our porch or the dining room. But the shed will be behind the house and not close enough to compare so I think they'll be okay. If I can't get them much cheaper, I'll build up around a treated post with 1X pine. Just a little price shock for me is all.:lol::lol:

Thanks again,

Tom

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Since these columns aren't tapered, why not use a piece of PVC sewer pipe? Also would 8" be to large for the shed? You can get primer to paint most plastics now, just look at the bumper on your car. You could fabricate a base and capital from PVC trim stock. It works with ww tools, but leaves a residue that won't come off bits and blades.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Great idea!!!!!!! :icon_thum Plastic pipe. Instead of just planting a short post and the composite column to hold up the floor of the porch and the roof, I could use a full post for the support and slide the pipe over it, set it, and then trim it up!! Thanks for the idea. Now it'll take a week or so for me to "over analyze" how to go about it. :-D:-D:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Thanks,
Tom

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
PVC trim material can be cemented together, just like the pipe. Workbench, and some other mags have done articles recently on using PVC trim. Only major caution, is don't paint it a dark color. A plus is you can take the change between composite columns and PVC pipe and buy yourself a new toy, I mean tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS