Po' Man's Carving Vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
I ran across the details for this vise the other day and thought I would try it out. Got everything needed at Lowe's for $16.35 including tax. As you can see, it's not for heavy duty stuff but if you have something small, just screw it to the bottom of the small flange and your good to go. You can tilt its up or down and have full 360 degree rotation. Just loosen the 1/2" nut and set where you want it and the re-tighten. It's small enough to take it with you and easy to set up with just a c-clamp. Here if the link if interested in more info. http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/articles2004/poormancontest/poormancontestpg1.htm

Chuck

lottathought

New User
Michael
It looks intersting.
So how exactly do you fasten the wood to the plate?
Do you screw holes into the base?
Does the base cause much trouble carving the bottom of the item?

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Michael, This vise would be for carving a block of wood in the round. The small flange has 4 holes in it through which you would position your block onto the flange and screw through the flange to into the bottom of your block. The screws should not become a factor. Most carvings would probably allow for the screws and use that portion for a base on the finished carving or design the carving so that the bottom area would be cut off when finished. Hope I explained it well enough.

Chuck

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Chris, glad it worked for you. I've seen these same type vises, a little more fancy and polished for $100 plus. This one does the same thing as those do and it's a lot cheaper. I could help.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS