Pneumatic drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am returning a tabletop drum sander to Lowes this week because it is defective, the same in a replacement will probably be just fine however, I am looking at other options for the same application. In my new Klingspor catalog on page 50, they have pneumatic drums. They also have a drum adapter that will turn a drill press into a drum sander. Can someone explain what I am looking at and is this a better option than the tabletop drum sander I am about to replace. I have spent $71.00 for the tabletop machine. I see this as a good option for my drill press. Also am I looking at two items to purchase from this catalog. Pneumatic drum plus the adapter. This could also save space in the shop by using the drill press. I see that the drum is air inflated, how would it be inflated, that may stop me in my tracks. Thoughts please. Lorraine

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine, I am assuming the drum sander you got is an Oscillating Spindle Sander (OSS). The spindle sander for a drill press doesn't move up and down like an OSS. That results in much faster paper wear (in one certain area) and a very linear scratch pattern that doesn't leave a very smooth surface. Also the drill presses bearings aren't really designed for side pressure like you would be applying. The DP sander works but an OSS is a much better system that yields better results.
The inflatable drums are helpful for curved surfaces, like for example sanding a round-over on a curved piece. They usually inflate with a bicycle pump or may come with their own pump system. Because they are soft (even when fully inflated) they aren't good for sanding a square face on a curve. For that a hard rubber sanding drum is your best bet.
I have a DP drum sander and a make-shift table I built to help with dust collection. It worked OK, but I recently got the Ridgid OSS/edge sander and it is a big improvement. Much faster stock removal, with a more uniform scratch pattern (overall better results).
Dave:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Lorraine- there are a number of types of drum sanders. Arguably the best are the oscillating spindle sanders where the drum goes up and down (oscillation stroke range varies 1" - 1.5" between models) as well as rotates. Oscillating keeps the abrasive paper from wearing too much in one spot. They usually come with about a half dozen or more drums of different sizes to which you add abrasive sleeves. The top of the line are floor models with tilting cast iron tables, multiple table inserts, and dust collection ports. Next in line are the table-top models. The better ones have tilting cast iron tables as well. The bottom of the line are the table top oscillating spindle sanders with non-tilting steel tops, a limited selection of spindles, and usually shorter oscillation stroke.

Alternatives include spindles that can be mounted on a drill press or other arbor (some can be mounted on a lathe). Drill press quill bearings are not really designed to handle side loads so if you plan on doing a lot of spindle sanding the drill press is not the way to go. One thing to look at if you do select this option is whether the spindle accepts abrasive sleeves or paper and how the paper is held onto the spindle. Paper can be hard to attach and doesn't stay on well with cheap spindles.

Inflatable spindles are normally used for freehand (holding the work or the spindle) shaping and softening sanding since they "give" a little. You normally see them attached to a fixed arbor (like pedestal mounted sander/polisher or on the side of a Delta disc/belt sanding machine) or attached to a handheld flexible shaft arbor. They have a bicycle tire filler valve and you use shop compressed air or a bicycle pump to fill them to the desired firmness.

Sully

New User
jay
I completely concur with Dave's and Alan's comments about the bearings in a standard drill press not being designed to handle the side loads involved in sanding. However, that being said, this is what I use for an oscillating spindle sander:

It is an old bench top drill press that I converted into an oscillating spindle sander. BTW, just to clarify what you are looking at, it was taken apart and remounted upside down for permanent use as a sander.

The oscillating part is driven by a small fan-cooled motor from a vending machine. The drill press handles the turning of the sanding drum. They are wired separately so I can run it as an OSS, a drum sander (w/o oscillation) or as an articulating sander (without the spinning). I use the DP belts to control the drum speed and a variable speed switch to control the speed of oscillation. Even though the bearings in this old beast weren't designed for it, I've never had any problems with it. But then again I don't use it for drilling any more either. I have a table board that I clamp to it when I'm gonna use it. I just haven't gotten around to building a permanent cabinet for it.

They are other pictures I just uploaded to my gallery if you are interested.

There is also a short video of it in action at:

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/jwaterdawg/?action=view&current=P1010031MOV.flv

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Jay that is a very creative idea you have there. The tabletop sander that I purchased from Lowes is a Delta model with a belt on the back and a disk on the front. Many of our fellow woodworkers have the same model with no complaints. I just happened to pick up one that was defective. You have helped me make up my mind. I will return the defective one and either get the same one or go one step up in price. I find I really need something like this in the shop. Thanks again for helping me understand the drum sanders. Lorraine

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lowes has discontinued that Delta sander and replaced it with a Hitachi. That is why it was on clearance. Usually costs between $100- $140 depending upon source. Sorry it didn't work out. I have one in my shop to be repaired that only needs a motor, but a motor is $185+ shipping. Owner bought one on clearance from Lowes to replace it. It was a no brainer. Why don't you go to Wood Works in Richmond on Oct 12-14 and look and see what is available. It's only about an hour and a half from you. Plus I am sure that you will see many other toys, I mean tools that you MUST HAVE!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Lorraine,
I have the Rigid OSS that DaveO spoke about. If you would like to come by a take it for a spin, You are more than welcome. Just PM or email me if interested.
Take care,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS