PM-45

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Okay maybe a dumb question, are the threads on both ends of the head stock the same? I can thread a faceplate on the inboard side of the headstock, but not on the outboard side. The threads appear to be reversed. I want to mount a hand wheel on it so I can had thread a large piece for turning. But nothing I have will thread onto it. Both ends are 1 inch by 8TPI

45.jpg

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I tried searching for "reversed thread headstock faceplate" in numerous ways but I am unable to locate one. Or don't know what I am looking at when searching. Mike the old wise one, can you help? Or tell me who on here is a lathe guru?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Robert, Delta made a 6" faceplate that was threaded both RH and LH. It is 1"x8tpi like your lathe so it should fit.

Roy G

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I use one of the old cast iron 46-127 6" faceplates on my 45, but mostly as a hand wheel.
Search for 1-8 LH thread faceplate. Klingspoor may even have one. I see they have the RH threaded version.

1    afaceplate - 1.jpg

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
McMaster Carr should have 1-8 left hand nuts. I made a faceplate using one of them and mounted the nut to a micarta plate using 4 small screws/nuts which you can face off yourself. You could also weld a steel plate to a nut for a bit more cost.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Found this, will try it

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do have one of those left, and right hand, threaded faceplates for my hot-rodded Rockwell. Took it to an older machinist one time to get the face trued. He had never seen anything like it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Awesome now I know what that nut is for..... but yes most of the older lathes have the outboard shaft of the shaft left handed threads.
Found this, will try it

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Awesome now I know what that nut is for..... but yes most of the older lathes have the outboard shaft of the shaft left handed threads.
At first I took that comment to mean that the newer lathes had RH threaded outboard spindles then I remembered that lots of the newer lathes have a smooth shaft sticking out where the handwheel is held on with a set screw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors