Plywood Suppliers selling to public

decibel

New User
Patrick
I'm in Charlotte and I'm having no luck finding decent plywood from a supplier that will sell to me. Wurth along with others are mostly useless now as they require you to open an account. I obviously don't do that kind of volume..
I picked up some Mahogany ply from wall lumber and I need a few more sheets. I really don't want to make that drive for a few sheets but I'm having absolutely no luck locally. Is it just me I know I can get some things from Klutz but not Mahogany. Is it pretty much impossible to get good material if you're not a cabinet shop or having to drive somewhere else?

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
It's still a bit of a drive from Charlotte but The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville is closer, they are an NCWW sponsor and have some nice product. I think they'll deliver for a price. Give them a call.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Have you tried Atlantic, Rugby, McGee, and A&M? They are all in the triangle between Statesville Rd, North Graham, and 85.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
We have accounts with Hood, Rugby, Wurth and a few others.

I find that plywood at the retail outlets, such as The Hardwood Store, Steve Wall etc., is not that much more expensive, but the quality is not the same. Looks like most of the good stuff goes to the whole sale suppliers.

Best advice I can give is find a friend who has a business within range and ask him to add items onto his order for you.

Cbozz

Chris
User
As much as I hate to tout the BORG, for small orders, Home Depot has a connection with Columbia Forest Products and the pro desk can order by the sheet for just about whatever you want. Specify the core and veneer and they can get it, the caveat is that it usually takes a few weeks to come in. Sometimes the person at the pro desk doesn't know how to do it, but if you enlist the help of your local CFP rep they will walk them through it.

mgreene93

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm in Charlotte and I'm having no luck finding decent plywood from a supplier that will sell to me. Wurth along with others are mostly useless now as they require you to open an account. I obviously don't do that kind of volume..
I picked up some Mahogany ply from wall lumber and I need a few more sheets. I really don't want to make that drive for a few sheets but I'm having absolutely no luck locally. Is it just me I know I can get some things from Klutz but not Mahogany. Is it pretty much impossible to get good material if you're not a cabinet shop or having to drive somewhere else?
The Charlotte Woodworkers Association has a cash account for members with Wurth. I just pick out what I need, and pay cash.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
What does it take to create an account? A business license?
I have an account with Wuerth. Doesn't take much to set up, all done via email. Basically as a non-established buisiness, you get a cash account (pay at pick up) and get a sales person contact. Have to order in advance.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
What does it take to create an account? A business license?
It varies from one wholesale company to the next.

To deliver, some want the first order to be $1,000 minimum and they want to know about your business.

With Hood, if I pick up lumber, it has to be minimum 100 bf per species.

Best is to visit and get to know the sales person. At one time I was looking for 12/4 Ambrosia Maple and Chris did a search for me, came back and said he can get it at $0.84 per bf., but I have to take everything the mill has. Think it worked out to around 800bf. and I took it all.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an account with Wuerth. Doesn't take much to set up, all done via email. Basically as a non-established buisiness, you get a cash account (pay at pick up) and get a sales person contact. Have to order in advance.
Is that still the case? I used to have an account with Wurth. When I tried to buy some materials about a year ago I was told they were only accepting accounts that averaged $500/mo, or more. I like the products they offer, but would probably not exceed $500 per year.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Is that still the case? I used to have an account with Wurth. When I tried to buy some materials about a year ago I was told they were only accepting accounts that averaged $500/mo, or more. I like the products they offer, but would probably not exceed $500 per year.
..Just looked up when I got my account: Oct 2021, but have not used it until last week. Iirc, there was no minimum purchase required.
On a related note, I do undestand that these types of companies want to limit their dealings with the general public: Too much work/overhead and low sales volume...it is just not profitable.
I have had no issues so far: Call, place order and pick up the next day. I just make sure that I'll buy 'reasonable' quantities (i.e. not just a single bord/sheet). The customer service, knowledge and quality of materials (especially sheetgoods) is far superior to the big box stores. Just picked up a fairly large order of sheet goods from Horizon: All was ready for pickup and was loaded on my trailer ( ~20 sheets total, including some 5x12's). And then the guy came back and gave me a damaged sheet to cover my load, so the tie traps will not scratch my 'good' sheets. The entire transaction only took about 30 min and I was on my way.

Bernhard

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Has anyone seen hardwood plywood at the Charlotte Rockler? Their blurb said they have a "Huge Lumber Outlet".

decibel

New User
Patrick
I tried AM
Have you tried Atlantic, Rugby, McGee, and A&M? They are all in the triangle between Statesville Rd, North Graham, and 85.
I tired A&M and they required an account Rugby was the same maybe I don't know the secret handshake :oops:. I grabbed what I needed from Wall since I knew it would match what I had but given we're redoing a lot of built ins with the new house I may try to open an account we'll easily spend over 6K next year to average out to 500 a month. Or I need to find a cabinet shop buddy :)

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
@Tarhead, I have been in Charlotte Rockler a few times since it’s opened and they only have smaller plywood cuts. The biggest I saw was 4’ x 4’ Baltic birch. They have an ok supply of hardwoods.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
My Charlotte experience: I used to buy at Wurth before they quit selling to the general public and had an account but it turned out to be a series of accounts because they would delete it if you didn't buy often enough. It was too much of a hassle since I may not buy stuff every month, I run in spurts. When they quit dealing with the public it became irrelevant. I have bought a couple of large orders from A&M but have an account with Rugby which will probably be who I use more often. I get most of my wood now from Kluttz but they didn't have what you need. It is a shame that the largest city in NC doesn't have a lumber supplier at least the size and availability of Wall or The Hardwood Store that readily sells to the public.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS