Plywood face veneer is getting ridiculously thin

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I've been recently cutting some prefinished maple plywood on my CNC. My customer is making garage cabinets and he supplied the plywood. It is from a cabinet supply warehouse in Roanoke, VA. A piece of the face veneer flaked off one part. I measured it with my Mitutoyo micrometers at .010" thick. That measurement is over the pre-applied finish, plus there was some glue residue on the bottom. The actual wood veneer is probably only .008" thick if you take out the glue and finish. That just seems ridiculously thin. A sheet of copy paper is .004" thick. I had some old unfinished maple plywood scraps in the bin. I flaked off some of that face veneer and it measured .020" thick. Is this normal for prefinished plywood to be so thin on the face veneer? This is my first time cutting it.

My spiral compression CNC bit cuts it well. Although, I tried a brand new 80 tooth crosscut blade in my RAS and it was nearly impossible to crosscut it without some minor chipping of the veneer.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Don't know if it will help you or not, but I've tried putting masking tape on the cut (decent painters tape that will come off easily) before I do the cut and seems to help. The veneers are so thin... and so little glue...it's sad how things have gone to this.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Don't know if it will help you or not, but I've tried putting masking tape on the cut (decent painters tape that will come off easily) before I do the cut and seems to help. The veneers are so thin... and so little glue...it's sad how things have gone to this.
I actually tried this as a test and when I pulled off the masking tape a bunch of veneer came off with it. It looked good before I tried to remove the tape.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS