Plywood banding clamping suggestions?

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
The edge banding is sawn wider than the thickness of the edge that it's glued to so misalignment is okay. For example, your box could be 3/4" t so the edge banding could be +1/32" wider on each edge. After it is glued on the excess can be removed with a block plane.
Yeah, my banding has ~1/16" of additional thickness for just that reason, but the more I can minimize the chances of nicking the ply veneer with my block plane, the better.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
How about just using a bar clamp or other clamp and wedges like this. I can't imagine alot of clamping force is needed for edge banding.

Attachments

• TTEdgingClamps.jpg
    TTEdgingClamps.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 125

JohnW

New User
John
Mitch, If you still need to do this, use blue painters tape. I've done it many times. For the 20" run, use about 20 pieces, each about 8"-10" long x 3/4"-1" wide. Painters tape, or the 3M tape mentioned above, stretches and the multiple effect of using many pieces yields plenty of pressure. We do it all the time on instruments. It also keeps the edge band in place and keeps it from moving or sliding off while taping.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I ended up clamping down the workpiece and a stop block and using a small wedge to squeeze things together. Worked perfectly. I'll try the other techniques on future projects.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I ended up clamping down the workpiece and a stop block and using a small wedge to squeeze things together. Worked perfectly. I'll try the other techniques on future projects.

Good, you got it done to your satisfaction. We love pictures of any sort to demonstrate a work in progress or the finished product.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors