Plywood and Drum Sander

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Off the wall question.

I am in need of some thin (1/8" oak plywood) for a small project. I have plenty of 1/4" ply and was wondering if I can run it through my drum sander to drawn down the thickness? Parts are about 12" square and only need one face veneered in oak. (I have the Supermax 16-32 sander.) Looking for anyone's experiences doing this.

Thanks

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Yes, you can do this. Just be aware the back side will be the unfinished interior of the plywood core. As long as that will never be seen you will be okay.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It will be weaker having only 2 or maybe even 1.5 plies. If is very high quality with 7 or more plies then it will be fine.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
12" wide ??? why aren't you running this through a surface planer to get it close. The smallest I have seen is 12" wide ...
Then finish with the sander.

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
Running through the planer might cause a problem of the leading edge lifting into the cutters. This s especially so when the cutters hit the cross grain layer.

All in all, you would be better off resawing some oak and then sanding down to 1/8 inch in the drum sander. If you are laminating the veneer to a substrate, you can glue it first and then sand it. Otherwise, you might want to use a sled.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors