Playing with hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
A while back , during my first-ever visit to Scott Smith's ( kewl place :icon_thum ) he gave me a good sized chunk of a shag bark hickory tree :banana:

I finally made some progress with it ....well , progress I am willing to share :tinysmile_tongue_t:

10" bowl :
hickory_bowl.jpg

View image in gallery

hickory_bowl2.jpg

View image in gallery

hickory_bowl3.jpg

View image in gallery

hickory_bowl4.jpg

View image in gallery

hickory_bowl6.jpg

View image in gallery

A pen from some of the waste :

and finally , a pen turned about 15 degrees across the grain :

The bowl was pretty challenging with all of the inclusions and there is more than a little black CA glue leveling some of them out . What you don't see is the 2 small chunks missing on the bottom recess where Mr Bowl Gouge took a big bite and flung the bowl across the shop ( breaking my light ) :BangHead: Took me all weekend as I kept walking way from it to do something else :eusa_doh:

learned a lot though and that is what it is all about for me :gar-Bi

thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Robert, like cream, your artistry and creativity is rising to the top. . Nice work Bro. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
You never cease to amaze me bro. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: First time I recall seeing anything turned out of Hickory. It sure is beautiful. :yes:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Sweet!!
Like pecan its hard wood that can be plain and a bit challenging but when its right its right!
You did great work with a sweet piece of wood:thumbs_up

dlrion

New User
Dan
Wow That turned out NICE man!

It looks like you are getting that transition from the wall to the bottom of the bowl a lot better than I am. Nice perfect curve!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
As usual, that piece looks great Robert:icon_thum
You have definitely mastered that spinny thing too! Are there any tools left that you haven't???:no:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Robert, those look GREAT! I really like the shape on that bowl, it adds a nice dimension to the wood patterns.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Sure looks nice Robert. With all the wood that goes in my scrap pile:eusa_thin I wish I could learn how, and had time. Well maybe one day.
Anyway good lookin soup bowl..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors