Planing rough sawn pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richgod

New User
Richard
I'm in Raleigh and have a stack of 5/4 rough sawn pine 10'-12', varying widths (6"-13") I need to have planed to 4/4. Total of 66 boards. It is too much for my bench top planers (Ryobi and Dwalt) to deal with.
Anyone in the area that knows of someone that would help with this? I can rip and joint it if I can only get it planed! I've tried several cabinet shops and all I called have shut down their milling operations. I can transport the stack and render some physical and financial assistance. I'm retired, any day is good for me, and anyplace from local to 100 miles.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Rich - if you want, we can run them through my planer sometime this weekend. I'm off 55 Bypass just outside of Fuquay.

Two caveats: 1) my planer is a 12"er, although it is a real 3HP and will take off 1/4" in oak in a pass.

2) my garbage company won't take that many bags of shavings but the Old Smithfield Rd. landfill is "on the way" along 55 Bypass.

Let me know.

-Mark

Richgod

New User
Richard
Thanks to all that responded to my plea for help!

I got some of the boards surfaced this weekend - many thanks to Bernhard in Rougemont!! - but still have a lot left to do. About 10 of these boards were 15" wide. All were 5/4 thick, and no shorter than 10'. His 15" Grizzly was put to the task, and did indeed overheat :sad: a few times. The Felder 12" planer zipped boards through with no trouble at all... THAT is a really nice piece of equipment! :mrgreen: AND one of the quietest dust collectors I have heard.

:5thanks: Thanks for the help Bernhard!

I had treated the boards with Boracare, which did indeed stop many of the bumblebees from boring into the wood...kiled them in the act. Unfortunately, I treated later than I should have and there is powderpost beetle damage to most of the lumber. :mad: However, judging from what I did get done this weekend and now have in my shop, I'll still be able to salvage all I need for the Hutch project I am starting.

I'll still need to get the rest of the stack done sometime in the near future.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS