Planer suggestions/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellellis

New User
Russell
hey guys, my planer bit the dust (not sawdust), so im in the market for a new one. it was an older low line delta model i bought off of a contractor i used to work with some. cant even make out the model number anymore. looks like the 22-580 in a way but the knives are different and its a bit more chunky. anyway.
so im looking for one sub $500 and just wanted to see what peoples opinions and comments were on what they were using.
i would love to hear from anyone who has used the Dewalt DW734 or DW735, the Ridgid R4330 and even the Delta 22-580. I know they are all different in a way, but just trying to see what you guys are saying about them. Ive demo'd the Craftsman 21743 and 21758 at work (sears) and have mixed opinions of those as well, but thats from very very very limited use so far.
If anyone wants to make suggestions or comments, Id be really appreciative.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Russel,

I have had a DW735 for about 2 years now and can say that it has been a gem!!

I only had one problem with it and that was my poor maintenance schedule. I forgot to wax the infeed/putfeed and bed on a regular basis so that resulted in some feed problems, One coat of Johnsons Paste Wax and it was good to go! I have probably put about 2000 BF of red oak (primarily) through it and haven't flipped the blades yet. Still planing fine!

If I were to buy another, it would be the DW735 for a bench top.

(The only gripe I have is Dewalt making the infeed/outfeed tables optional and the location of the dust exhaust!!:BangHead: I bought a 90 degree 4" elbow to my DC hose and that problem was solved,)

Although it lists for $549 these days, I have noticed a $50 rebate on a pretty regular basis.

Great planer!

Wayne

Glennbear

Glenn
I have the DW735 and pretty much echo what Wayne said, I am very pleased. So far I have primarily used it to remove finish from and dimension recycled heart pine from gym bleachers. I clean the boards well but there is still the occasional grit that had been imbedded in the finish from decades of foot traffic so the blades do get some minor dings. The finished stock just needs a quick hit or two with a ROS and is ready for use. I am sure on new stock you would be highly pleased with the performance and features on this machine. As Wayne said, there are promotions from time to time, mine came with a free ROS and recently there was a $50 rebate. Not too long ago the local BORG had them for $499.:wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
For the money, the DW735 is a stout little machine. Can't tell you how many thousand feet we have put through it, and it has done a respectable job.

It's accurate, easy to adjust, and the blades are easy to change. We'd buy another one for sure.

:wsmile:

Travis Porter has a 15" Grizzly listed in the classifieds for $500. I had a 12" planer for 20 years and wished for extra inches of width capacity many times. Something to consider.

russellellis

New User
Russell
Thanks so far guys, i knew the DW735 recieved a lot of praise from you guys around here. For me its not the price to consider, because actually with my 25% associate/tool discount at sears....it falls right in line with the others in price. just a little more but thats not much to worry about. I mean if the Ridgid or Delta was an equal, then why spend more for another model, even if it were a deal.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Travis Porter has a 15" Grizzly listed in the classifieds for $500. I had a 12" planer for 20 years and wished for extra inches of width capacity many times. Something to consider.

Besides the width, The 15" has alot more power and can take a bigger bite. The price is great, but it's not as portable as a lunch box planer if you need that.

Jimmy

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
For years I have had my Dewalt lunch box planer. I still have and won't get rid of it.
It's not the newer design, but the older version.
Like Steve Sanders mentioned there were times that I wished for a bit bigger machine.
And when the first good deal came along for a bigger one I jumped at it.
The stronger planers are great for surfacing rough cut lumber.
For the smaller stuff I still use my dewalt.
Travis's 15 inch is a good buy.

MTCW

MAC

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've been very happy with my TP1300 (now replaced by the R4330). I'd love to have a 15" planer like the one Travis is selling, but space is an issue. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the DeWalt or Ridgid models.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I have owned two different portable 12 inch Delta planers, and now own a Dewalt 735. The Delta planers were good and very reliable, but snipe was a guaranteed part of their operation. The Dewalt has proven to be very different. Snipe is almost non-existant on boards that are run through it. You can see a line where the rollers drop off of the wood and snipe would normally occur, but it's only a barely visible line and not the 1/32-1/8 inch drop that's typical with other planers. A quick pass with a ROS eliminates it. I've owned the 735 for two years and have no complaints at all with it. Well maybe one complaint, it's too heavy to move around by hand (it has handles, but it's NOT a portable planer) . I put mine on a Delta hand truck style miter saw stand so I can move it around and set it up easily. I do all of my planning outside, and this stand makes moving and setting up the planer very easy for me to do alone. Inside, it stands on end in the corner of the shop, taking up very little space. The built-in chip removal blower is great too, but you had better buy the dust control option for it if you don't have a big dust collector to hook it up to. The chips come out of it so fast that they will hit the wall ten feet away without a dust collector of some kind hooked up to it. Others have complained about knife quality, but I haven't experienced anything other than normal wear with my 735. Infinity makes replacements that wear better than the Dewalt knives though, and they now make carbide, if you can afford them.

Charley

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks so far guys, i knew the DW735 recieved a lot of praise from you guys around here. For me its not the price to consider, because actually with my 25% associate/tool discount at sears....it falls right in line with the others in price. just a little more but thats not much to worry about. I mean if the Ridgid or Delta was an equal, then why spend more for another model, even if it were a deal.

Heck with the 25% discount I'd buy the DeWalt 735. It's supposed to be able to plane figured wood well also. If I found a good deal on a 735 I'd buy it and put on top of my 15" PM for finish cuts.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS