Plane Till Ideas

rfeeser

New User
Update your profile with your name
I had a very large collection of hand planes. I took a fast, sloppy approach for storing them vertically. I used well- braced pegboard on the wall and bent pieces of steel rod of the same diameter as the holes to hook under the front knob from above. Very quick and utilitarian and ugly. But I put covering doors over to keep dust from piling up.

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
More progress. I ended up using some large stepped walnut dowels I had to act as pins to hold the planes upright. Thinking of adding some magnets as well for extra holding support when pulling the pins. The grid is red oak finished with Walrus Oil wood wax. Work begins on the other side tomorrow.
1000002731.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking good Will!

Just a suggestion, (I realize you didn't ask...)
You could change the screwed toe boards to an "L" shape (think rabbited board) and eliminate the dowels.
Then you could simply lift the plane in and out of the "heal" board, yet hold them in place...

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Looking good Will!

Just a suggestion, (I realize you didn't ask...)
You could change the screwed toe boards to an "L" shape (think rabbited board) and eliminate the dowels.
Then you could simply lift the plane in and out of the "heal" board, yet hold them in place...
Or- place the toe blocks you have a little higher. let the knob of the plane push the dowel up as you lift the heel over the step at the bottom. gravity returns the dowel to it‘s place until you “”lift and drop” the plane back into it’s spot.

makes it a one hand operation, no need to touch the dowel at all.

Assumes the dowels are heavy and free moving enough to act this way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors