Pink toy box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Normally the idea of painting over good wood is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. And when the paint is pink, that's just adding insult-to-injury. But when my granddaughter said, "Dada, I want a pink toy box", I had to do it. So here it is. Since it will be decorated with "Princess" decals, I chose frame-and-panel construction which gives her multiple panes to decorate. The rails and stiles are 3/4" poplar, and the panels and bottom are 1/2" birch veneer plywood. The top is a glued up panel of 3/4" poplar with 3 battens to keep it flat and allow the wood to expand and contract over time. The ends are connected to the front and back with drawer-lock joints. The lid is hinged with a 30" piano hinge. Overall dimensions are 34"L x 18"H x 18"W. The lid is 35"x18 1/2", with a 1/2" overhang on front and sides.

IMG_0806.JPG

View image in gallery

There are two safety features I build into every toy box. The lid supports (from WW Supply) keep it from slamming down on little hands, heads, legs, arms, etc. For air holes, this time I incorporated them into the handles. Sometimes I make decorative notches around the top rim.

The finish is two coats of Zinsser's B-I-N (Shellac based) primer applied with a HVLP spray gun, then lightly sanded with 240 paper. This was the first time I've used this primer, and I really liked it. It sprayed easy with little thinning, dried fast, and can be top coated with any other finish. The final coat is an oil based paint by Olympic from Lowe's, also applied with the HVLP gun.

Bill Clemmons

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
WOW that sure is PINK!:elvis: excellent workmanship and um PINK!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Yep those little girls find a way to get Grampa to do what they want.:wink_smil. Thats a cute toy box that will be remembered long after she grows up, Great job ther Gramps!!!!!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Bill!:eusa_danc

I really like the look of panels and the multipurpose handle(s) (safety and design) are a really nice touch.

Will be treasured for a long time I would bet.

Now. Does Gramps get to stock it?:gar-La;

Gotta love the little tykes. They certainly have a knack in wrapping grownups 'round their wee fingers, don't they!!!:wsmile:

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Great looking toy box there.My daughter wanted a pink bedroom,so guess what color is upstairs.Almost like someone's peach.Tony

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bill,

That is just great! The handle design is really nice. Will you please post a picture of your grand daughter seeing it for the first time?

Bob

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Bill!!! :eusa_clap I am glad that you too discovered Zinsser's, I have used it for years and it is a great primer once you get past the smell. I think the most rewarding projects we make are the ones for the "little people". :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS