Picture dump - projects from the last few months

BKHam

Bradley
User
my latest project is a box i use to put my sunglasses, wallet and keys. i call it a key caddy. It is edge banded ply with commercial walnut veneer.
-joinery: basically butt joints with small 1/8 floating tenons for registration.
-i found a curly piece of walnut in my stack for the edge banding, the knob, and the base
-its a compliment to a piece i made for my wife a couple years ago in sappele
20220810_104254.jpg
20220826_071919.jpg
20220826_071823.jpg
20220810_140820.jpg

quick project: salt cellar
-room for salt and some sort of fancy salt or red pepper or whatever
-i used a 3 inch forstner bit and then glued on the bottom
-my harbor freight drill press did not have a key / keyway on quill to pulley connection so it kept slipping, led to me cutting one and installing a key manually
20220824_105731.jpg
20220825_155304.jpg

Wood hinge box
-used the rob cosman method for creating the custom dowel
-used a cosman wood hinge bit tool for drilling the holes
-the inside is felt wrapped packing peanuts
20220304_112947.jpg
20220304_164247.jpg

random stuff:
-a new version of my coasters in walnut
-the base of a lamp i made
-the sides of a bookcase project i have in progress
>this is birch ply, edge banded and veneered with Ash shop sawn veneer
20220329_160449.jpg
20220410_112634.jpg
20220802_154344.jpg

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
All beautiful work! I'm curious how you shaped the sides of your coasters? I like the subtle curve it seems to have

BKHam

Bradley
User
All beautiful work! I'm curious how you shaped the sides of your coasters? I like the subtle curve it seems to have

thanks.

I have done it with a large 3/4 inch roundover bit, only using a portion of it. i have also done it with all hand tools. its a little annoying to prevent blowout this way. I then sand, either on my edge sander or just power thru it with some sanding blocks.

i just try to avoid sanding the edge of the profile to keep it crisp.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing.
You have some nice work there.
In the last Pic is that some sort of lava rock or crushed gravel inset in the coaster?
Can you please tell us about that?
Thanks

Trey1984

Trey
User
Very nice! Dovetail drawer on key caddy was very nice touch! All of your work is very nice! Curious did you build the table the caddys where sitting on?

BKHam

Bradley
User
Very nice! Dovetail drawer on key caddy was very nice touch! All of your work is very nice! Curious did you build the table the caddys where sitting on?

thanks. I enjoy dovetailing oddly. I have done some projects with hundreds and still don't mind it.

I did build the blue table. It is cherry under that paint to match the top. I was running low on materials, the legs were glue ups, I never really liked the board i choose for the front apron. so instead of being annoyed, i painted it. its a nice flash of color.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Really nice! I'm wondering what you used for the finish?

for the key caddy I used semi gloss arm-R- seal. If i had any at the time, i would have likely used osmo polyx satin. It really gives it a touchable finish in my view and keeps the light areas of the walnut, just that, light. but i used arm-r-seal because i had it. to offset the darkening that would happen using that oil based product, i just sanded a little higher (600).

coasters are osmo satin.

salt wells are tried and true varnish for a food safe finish.

the wood hinge box was a shaker can of lacquer i believe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS