Picking A New Riding Mower

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
o
There are electric riders now. But they seem overpriced and there isn't much selection. I know Ryobi has a tractor and I think they now have a zero turn. They use golf cart batteries for these, not lithium ion. I have a self propelled push mower by Ryobi and I like it. But it sometimes needs a second battery to finish my less than half acre lot. It works fine but it should for what it costs. The lack of noise is nice but if I had to pay for my battery powered mower, I would not have it (I got it under the HD seeds program).
Those electrics seem only good for an hour of mowing, then take 10 hours to recharge.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I learned an expensive, inconvenient lesson buy ing a Cub Cadet from a ??? Tractor Store. I ended up with no nearly new lawn mower for about a month, finally accepting ther manager's suggestion to buy a larger and much more expensive model. I'll skip all the drama, but last unit is a TORO TIME 5000 with heavy duty deck, from a franchised dealer. It's been a very satisfactory relationship. KILLIANS HARDWARE AND EQUIPMENT, Hickory.

FlyingRon

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Ron
Staff member
Corporate Member
While our LT160 has worked well for us, our experience with John Deere (both corporate and their stealership, James River Equipment) on Tractors has me a bit cheesed off on giving JD another dollar of our money. In addition to being crooks, they were blatantly sexist to a couple of the county master gardenrs here.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Senior User
I have had a Toro SW4200 for 3 years now and it has been a great purchase. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Zero turn but with the familiar steering wheel. Got mine from a dealer that caters to the landscape pros. Don't waste your money on a mower from the big box stores; they are built to sell at a price point, which means they use cheaper components in the build.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Vice President
Hank
Corporate Member
Don't waste your money on a mower from the big box stores; they are built to sell at a price point, which means they use cheaper components in the build.
If you look at a John Deere - that is not true - the models are made in Greenville TN and the models are the same as the one you buy at a JD dealer... Now with that said there are models at the dealership that you cannot purchase at the big box store...

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Hank is correct. In fact, the product pages for JD mowers on HD's website includes this (emphasis added): "White glove delivery within 7-14 days by a local John Deere dealer, at delivery the customer will be taught how-to operate and maintain the mower"

Jeff

New User
Jeff
They are still manufactured to a price point by John Deere specifically for John Deere to compete in consumer markets at big box stores like Lowe's and HD.

The JD 100 Series are both sold at HD and Lowe's for about $1500-1700. I guess they're about the same price from a JD dealer too.

Last edited:

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS