Pic~ No More Agonizing over lathe purch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
OK, I am making myself nuts over a lathe purchase, that is just not right.

I have 2 options in front of me and really can't decide which way to go, here are the choices and some of my likes about them.

Jet 1642 1.5hp- I can snag this one for $1579.99- like it for the cost the fact that it is plug and play and the fact that I think it will be easiest to sell for an upgrade.

[STRIKE]Jet 1642 evs 2hp-H$1899.99 cost over the 1.5 is not much, extra hp='s more torque cons- need to wire 240[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]PM3520A- $2599.99 - mass is greater than the B speed starts at 0 not 50 cost is good, cons older model parts and upgrades are harder to find, no rpm(not really an issue for me) resale could be harder, 220v[/STRIKE]

PM3520B $2959.00 A great lathe

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! HELP ME. I am making myself nuts over this.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

timf67

Tim
Senior User
Re: Agonizing over lathe purchase

Not to make your decision more complicated, but Klingspors made a bulk quantity purchase of 100 of the 1642EVS, so I think you may be able to get one from them for about the price of the 1642...

Bear

New User
Bear

Hi Gary,

Being that I am a novice, I probably should not comment but will anyway. I have the 1642 evs 2hp and it seems to be a nice machine for the price and perhaps I will never feel the need for upgrading. However, with my experience with other machines, I have never been sorry when I purchased more machine than I thought I needed. I cannot say that when I only thought about the present and, the money. It seemed that I always came out cheaper when there was not a need to upgrade later.

After all of that, if money was not a major consideration and/or if I planned on making a business out of it I would go first for the Robust, followed by the 3520B and then the 1642 evs.

Good luck with your decision.

Bear

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David

Having just purchased a 3520 BASE model (not A or B), I'm a little bit biased toward the PM. However I have to admit that the Jets are nice too.

The Phase Converter on mine has been upgraded with a very nice Baldor industrial model that allows me to either use the dial on the front of the lathe or use the Phase Converter to control the speed and give me a full digital readout with Jog and Motor Brake. Pretty Sweet.

But before I figured that part out I was prepared to put on an a Digital Tachometer from Northern Tool. Here is the link; Northern

Best of luck,

David

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I saw a used PM on craig's list 4 years old with 3 hours of run time on it.

I don't remember the price but it was very low.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Go PM and it might be the last lathe you'll buy.

Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member

I have that Jet. It is great! You welcome to come by if it will help you decise.

Doug

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User

Powermatic, (bias) hands down. Look at your screen name ... that says it all! TURNER! You DESERVE it ... just make the decision and go with it. The way I see it if you settle for less than you want, you will just regret it later and have buyers remorse. Get what you want ... go for the gold!

BobcatBob

New User
Bob

I recently upgraded to the Jet 1642 evs and love it. You are welcome to come up here and give it a try to see if it will fit the bill for you.

Bob

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Ahh What do you have now? I'll take it! And then I can pass mine along! ha ha ha

No really you should get a Harbor Freight lathe like mine and Earl's, I mean just look at Earls work! Those HF lathes have some Magic in them, that produces some Beautiful work!

Well if I had the cash, I would go PM. When I did have the cash from living in Okinawa Japan. I ended up getting the PM2000 tablesaw and love it!

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

What a grand dilemna to have - buy a great lathe or a fantastic one......
As a Jet owner, I've never regretted the decision I made. If I'd had the money I would have bought a PM or Oneway.

FRANK MILES

New User
FRANK

I was the same as you 6 months back and I bought the PM 3520B the only way to go.

NCTurner

New User
Gary

As a follow up to my other post about the PM3520A in VA going bust.:no: Onto the great news.

My wonderful wife has still agreed to let me buy a new lathe. The final decision:
drum2_c.jpg
drum2_c.jpg
drum2_c.jpg
drum2_c.jpg

I will be placing my order for a Mustard Mistress tomorrow afternoon on lunch!!!!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi This one will be brand spanking new and delivered to my door!:eusa_danc

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Re: NO MORE Agonizing over lathe purchase

so I guess we aint goin on a road trip.:gar-La; ur gonna love it!:icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Told you to buy that one in Richmond!

It only hurts once!:wink_smil

But the lectures and reminders she gives last a lifetime. :realmad:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Gary, you have a real special lady. Congrats!!!!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Congratulations Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS