Phenolic Resin Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
Hey everyone,

I have a co-worker who gave me a large slab of 1" thick phenolic resin that came from an old chemistry lab bench. Due to its size, weight, flatness, and chemical resistance I would like to use it as a work surface or assembly table. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut it and work with it? The guy who gave it to me said he didn't want it because he had trouble cutting it. I am sure there is a way to do it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
If that phenolic is a laminated cloth/plastic like sheet it will cut with woodworking tools. Probably be best to use carbide. Look at the end grain, if it is like wood grain it is the layered cloth stuff. The cloth can either be linen or canvas. One of the names for it is Micarta.

If it is a solid plastic sheet I haven't a clue.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
What Bob said, unless it is Bakelite which is another old time phenolic that looks more like (usually black) glass, but made from solid resin and subject to shattering.

Becareful of fumes created if you start burning the phenolic- they smell and are actually hazardous to your health. Don't use a good blade, you may ruin it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is one brand of lab top that is solid Epoxy with tiny bits of silica re-enforcement. It looks like Micarta on the surface, but more like black granite on the cut edge. The stuff weighs a ton per square foot!

It has to be cut with a masonry blade and water cooling to keep from chipping. The water helps to keep the dust down too.

I think the company is Kenn... I'll search....

http://www.kewaunee.com/

Most of the bigger labs in NC use this stuff.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Tim, if it has silica like typical laboratory epoxy, you'll probably need a diamond blade. My day job is lab design and the proponents of a pure phenolic resin tops without silica ("Trespa") like to point out this one weakness of typical epoxy. Same thing for grommet holes, etc.

However it is tough as nails, heat and chemically resistant, and very flat--it makes a fantastic worktop. If you can use it without working it you are best off, it is nearly impossible to get the ultra-smooth edge finish that comes from the factory on a field cut.

I have a couple of adjustable height lab tables ("Edison tables") with epoxy tops in my shop and they are a great reference for things needing to be dead flat. But heavy, I used a rolling car jack to move my tables the one time I re-arranged them.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am presuming since he mentioned difficulty in cutting he tried a carbide circular saw blade to no avail. If this is the case perhaps a diamond masonry blade in a circular saw would do it. I have used a similar setup (dry diamond blade) to cut some pretty tough stuff. Whatever you use I would recommend a good cartridge respirator as opposed to just a dust mask especially since the material originated in a chem lab. :wsmile:

timf67

New User
Tim
Thanks for the input everyone! It definitely looks like epoxy with silica in it. I will try to make it work without cutting it if I can, but I will likely end up making a go at it. Any suggestions for "polishing" the top? It sat outside for quite a while at my friend's house and it has a sun-bleached gray tinge to it.

Tim

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Thanks for the input everyone! It definitely looks like epoxy with silica in it. I will try to make it work without cutting it if I can, but I will likely end up making a go at it. Any suggestions for "polishing" the top? It sat outside for quite a while at my friend's house and it has a sun-bleached gray tinge to it.

Tim

Tim----------If it has to be cut you may consider taking it to a place that does granite countertops. They will have wet diamond set up for sawing large tops. Just a thought.

Jerry

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
For polishing you might look in the kitchen. First off use some Soft Scrub. Second try Weiman Glass Cook Top cleaner.
These are just like sandpaper grits: Comet would be course, Soft Scrub medium and Cooktop cleaner fine.

Another way would be to use wet and dry sandpaper with water. Wrap a half sheet around a flat block and sand away. Start with 320 and see what it does.

A car buffer may take out a lot of the elbow grease requirement. Soft Scrub and a car buffer might make quick work of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS