Pewter and woodwork? Maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
In some cases I have finished off a rifle with poured pewter or plumbers babbet. Some think.. it will burn the wood. Not if you're careful. I melts somewhere up around 450 degrees. Once it turns to a liquid you don't need to keep getting it hotter.

Pewter is soft and it shapes well with files. It will shine like a new nickel if you polish it. I like a satin like finish. Just taste.

I have poured it in turning blank cavities before turning spindle objects and it creates some really interesting visual effects. I
got the idea after cutting up some walnut on the bandsaw and as I opened the bookmatched boards...I found an old lead ball in the tree -I cut right down the middle
and had a bookmatched lead shape in the panels. It was cool so I put a little epoxy around it and out the door.

Here's a couple shots on the way to a nose cap. Hope it makes sense.

You can view some other photos of "in the works" in the photo gallery under danmart77

later
dan

cap_nose.jpg

View image in gallery

Dragon

New User
David
I like what you're doing there. I see no reason why it shouldn't work on whatever you have in mind. Please post pics and details as you go along.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS