Pen Stuff on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Ok, I have ordered everything I need to make my first 10 pens. Right now I only have about $97.42 per pen invested. So I will have to make a lot more to get that cost per pen down. And I am sure I left something out. And not to mention how much I will mess up.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you are on your way to being "productive", Ken. :rotflm:

The cost will come down as you know but the good thing is, most of the parts are salvageable even if you do blow one up. I have even reused brass sleeves before!:embaresse

Good luck with your turnings and post some pics!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken, expect to mess up one of two. There is a small learning curve. I have place on Lake Gaston where I spend most nice weekends. I am no expert but I would be glad to come up to SH to give a pointer or two.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I hope that price included much more than the pen kits and blanks. :swoon: In my opinion, turning them is the easiest and least time consuming part of the whole process. Making the blanks, waiting on coats of CA glue to dry and putting them together is the hard part.

One question, did you get the bushings you'll need?

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Thanks, I may take you up on that. We will see how it goes. I want to turn some bowls and duck calls also. I just need to start trying to collect some decent wood.

I miss our house on the lake, we had a weekend house right at Eaton Ferry Bridge and sold it like a fool.

Ken, expect to mess up one of two. There is a small learning curve. I have place on Lake Gaston where I spend most nice weekends. I am no expert but I would be glad to come up to SH to give a pointer or two.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Yes, I included the cost of the lathe, drill press and the mandrel and all the pen making tools. The pen kits were the cheapest thing.

I did get bushings, three of them.

I hope that price included much more than the pen kits and blanks. :swoon: In my opinion, turning them is the easiest and least time consuming part of the whole process. Making the blanks, waiting on coats of CA glue to dry and putting them together is the hard part.

One question, did you get the bushings you'll need?

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Welcome to the world of pens.As far as your investment goes...it will only get worse before it gets better:gar-La; But have fun and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS