Pen display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I completed this two weeks ago and haven't had time to post it yet. I wanted to make something to display a pen, mainly for taking photos, but also to display a nice one, one day when I finally turn one. :gar-La; This was my first bent lamination, and I've gotta tell ya, I look forward to doing more of those in the future. :yes: Anyway, it's a little different, but I like it. Sorry about the pic, I've been having issues with the camera. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

bowl_043.jpg

The pen is either Bolivian or Honduran Rosewood :icon_scra and is for Seb, who generously donated one of his old cell phones to Christy. Thanks so much Seb! :notworthy: I'll get it mailed out to you tomorrow. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Thanks for looking. Comments/criticism are welcomed.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Looking good Trent!!! I like the laminated part, it shows some out of the box thinking. That is something we all strive to do whether we want to or not. Good Job.

James

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Very unique, Trent! I like it! :icon_thum creativity flows again!

Great seeing you and Christy Saturday at the picnic.

Dan

sberube

New User
seb
Very cool pen :)

How did you make the U shape?!? Looking at the grain, I would think you bent the wood. It doesn't look like you have assembled it out of thin slices. And the radius of the U would be prohibitive I would think. Thin pieces would likely break unless they where humidified...

sberube

New User
seb
Hm, re-read your post and answered my own question... bent lamination. Did you have to soak/humidify the wood before being able to bend it that tight? How thin where you slices?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very cool pen :)

How did you make the U shape?!? Looking at the grain, I would think you bent the wood. It doesn't look like you have assembled it out of thin slices. And the radius of the U would be prohibitive I would think. Thin pieces would likely break unless they where humidified...

I'm glad you like the pen Seb. :wink_smil The stand was a bent lamination out of soft maple from Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington. I had a scrap board leftover from a previous project and used that. My BS blade is in no shape for resawing so I cut about 8 strips (about 1/16" or less) out on the TS. Then, cut out a form for them using a scrap 2x4. (You can see my original design on the other side of the board, but the wood wouldn't do it. :nah: Glued them all together and clamped....
bowl_018.jpg

bowl_019.jpg

Surprisingly to me, absolutely no spring back when I unclamped it the next day. :icon_scra I didn't get it glued up as precisely as I would've liked and the sides of it were not exactly flat. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: So I sanded them with the ROS. Then, wanting to mount it to a flat board, I figured a flat bottom would help, so I cut one on the MS.

bowl_020.jpg
bowl_020.jpg

Then (don't have pics of this), I put it back on the form and drilled a hole on the drill press. Half of which, would be cut off and form a little semi-circle for the pen to sit in. I thought about adding a thin strip of felt, just for looks, but haven't gotten around to that yet. :nah: To mount it to the walnut board, I counter sunk a drywall screw that I had snipped the end off of with bolt cutters (so I knew it wouldn't go through the bottom).

bowl_022.jpg

Then I turned a small finial to hide the screw and add some decoration. I sanded the bottom of the finial by hand to fit the curve in the maple and glued it on.

bowl_043.jpg

Finish was two coats of Tung Oil (sanded in between with 320 grit) and a coat of paste wax.

I really look forward to trying more bent laminations in the future. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Gonna get your pen in the mail today Seb. :icon_thum

EDIT: I did take great care to keep the pieces in the same order while cutting them on the TS. That's why the grain looks continuous.

Last edited:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hm, re-read your post and answered my own question... bent lamination. Did you have to soak/humidify the wood before being able to bend it that tight? How thin where you slices?

Actually, I didn't. Although, I've heard that some people will soak wood overnight, etc, before they bend it. My slices were about 1/16" thick and would bend without any soaking or steaming.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Trent,

Looks good!

I usually use 1/8" and soak overnight but I will try your thinner method on the next project. Also, a big thank you on Anchor Hardwood. I was over there a few weeks back and have put them on my regular stop list. I raided the $1 bin last time but have my eye on a nice Padouk board!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent,

Looks good!

I usually use 1/8" and soak overnight but I will try your thinner method on the next project. Also, a big thank you on Anchor Hardwood. I was over there a few weeks back and have put them on my regular stop list. I raided the $1 bin last time but have my eye on a nice Padouk board!

Thanks Mike! I'll have to experiment with soaking them too. :eusa_thin

$1 bin at Anchor? :eek: That must be a new thing. I recall plenty of times going in there asking for scrap wood to turn pens, etc and there sure as heck wasn't a $1 bin. Glad you scored some sweet wood. :eusa_danc

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice work Trent.
I've used a piece of driftwood but I like it more than the pens I've had on it. (Doesn't say much for my pens does it?? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors