Pecan tree damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
My daughter's recent ex-manfriend (she's 43) managed to damage a pecan tree on her property, in a vindictive mood, I'm sure, this past Friday. He had a truck body parked on her property, which she asked him to remove, and somehow, during the move, he managed to hit and break off the tree's main limb with the truck, right next to the trunk. Although we live 2 houses down from her, it was during the business day, and we weren't home and neither was she.

Then, the same day, while we were all gone, he enlisted the help of a neighbor, and cut up the limb and hauled it off.

I measured the tree today, and the trunk measures about 14" in diameter, and the limb, from what I could tell, measured at least 13" (is this possible?).

I've advised her to 1) call a tree surgeon, and see if there is something that should be done to the tree so that it isn't attacked by insects or something, and die, and 2) call her homeowner's insurance company about the property damage, and have an appraiser look at it.

I think this whole affair may turn ugly.

My questions are - 1) what value would a fresh pecan limb this size have to a woodworker? I'm thinking that a value may have to be established for the property damage. 2) Is there anything else we should be doing? We've taken some photos after the damage, and are looking for something that would show the tree previously, but not sure what we have.

Any thoughts? All would be appreciated.

John

M

McRabbet

Sad to say John, but the limb was not much value as a source of lumber. Limbs generally hang at some angle and the stresses inherent in the wood make it impractical for lumber. Further, it's small size would not yield much either. While you and your daughter are upset over the issue, be thankful that he cleaned up after his doing the tree damage. The cutoff should be properly protected to avoid disease and one of our tree experts (DaveO) should be able to advise on the best remedy.

You'll need to ask yourselves if it is worth pursuing or indeed it could get ugly. IMHO, I doubt there is much to gain.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
13" hickory limb has 3 uses I know of...

1) Firewood
2) Smoker / BBQ Grill
3) Turning (but I highly doubt it)

Look at the bright side at least he cleaned up his mess...

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I repeat a quote one of my co-workers once had on her desk "Some people bring happiness when they enter, some when they leave." I would say the value of his leaving is worth far more than the value of the limb or the tree. Be happy you're rid of him and move on. That large of a limb would have left a pretty good amount of damage on his vehicle. I would file an incident report with the police/sheriff should you have additional issues. I wouldn't put it past some people in this situation to claim your tree damaged their vehicle.:slap:

Ragtimeman

New User
John
I'm sure all of you are correct, and I appreciate your input. It just upset her, as it did so much visible damage to the tree.

Thanks, guys.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS