PC Dovetail Jig driving me crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
If you are not doing mass production, setup time / test material & waste usually exceed what would be spent doing hand cut dovetails.

i recommend to take the dovetail class at the woodwright school in Pittsboro; it will change your life.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry to be a naysayer and I like nice woodworking as well as any, but why this ###### over dovetails? Functionality, strength, looks or elitist? Box joints (aka finger joints) are easier and strong.

Drawer construction without dovetails at FWW #208: "Fine Drawers without Dovetails", Hendrik Varju.

Just raising the question so choose whichever you prefer.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have yet to have success with box joints but can make dovetails pretty routinely. I cut the pieces an inch or two long just-in-case on the first drawer but usually don't have to recut.

I also made a bunch of shop drawers with pocket screws and have used pneumatic nails and glue in the past. But when I have time, I like to dig out the dovetail jig. Mine sits on a base about 4 inches high which is nice to get the work up where its easier to see. I also have side guides on the wood base.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I watched a video that the jig is mounted on a base that raises it and also allows you to store the unit in when done with it. I would love to have that for my jig.
I had made a jig to make box joints but can't seem to find it or my first table saw sled. I have a feeling they are laying out in the wood pile somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS