painting over thompsons ws

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
i was just wonderin, can thompsons waterseal be painted over:eusa_thin. and if so ,laytex or oil?

J

jeff...

i was just wonderin, can thompsons waterseal be painted over:eusa_thin. and if so ,laytex or oil?

good question !!! I would "think" it would be oil and you would want to let TWS go a couple of months till it wears off first. But I'll defer to the experts

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
good question !!! I would "think" it would be oil and you would want to let TWS go a couple of months till it wears off first. But I'll defer to the experts

A couple of years ago I was told to use Thompsons WS (mixed 50/50 with thinner) on pine woodwork as a sealer to keep pine woodwork from blotching. I put it on, waited a week for it to cure and finished it off with Minwax stain and then uretane. I never had a problem with it after wards.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
When I built the garden shed in the back yard, I wasn't sure what color to paint it. So, I rolled on a coat of Thompson's. I think it was 2 years later when I painted. Used an exterior latex. It's holding beautifully.

The exterior of the shed is made of T1-11.

Ray

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
When I built the garden shed in the back yard, I wasn't sure what color to paint it. So, I rolled on a coat of Thompson's. I think it was 2 years later when I painted. Used an exterior latex. It's holding beautifully.

The exterior of the shed is made of T1-11.

Ray

Ray,

With all due respect (please put that ax down :eek:), you did not paint over TWS; it lasts about a year at the most. I have used it on my deck a few times. It's about 3 months until it quits beading (parafin gone) and about 9 or 10 before you will see the wood getting wet when it rains instead of running off (oil largely gone). Decks are generally PTP anyway so they won't rot for a very long time as long as you apply something (like TWS) to slow down the leeching away of chemicals every now and then.

BTW, this question was also out at Yahoo:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/frontend.php/question?qid=20080329114707AAOgGSd

Not that those folk know any better than us. :gar-Bi

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Andy,

I'll defer to your judgment on this one... I was just guessing at what was left on the siding from the appearance of the siding. The spots that didn't get coated (one of the doors) got dark and what had the water seal on it stayed very fresh-looking the whole time. Guess I should have thought about the need to reapply water seal every year. :eusa_doh:

Now, what's this about me putting down my delicate, precision wood shaping device?:gar-Bi

Ray

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Actually, I should correct myself - it lasts a year on an exposed horizontal surface. A door or wall panel would be completely different, especially if you had an overhang. I would expect problems (or less resiliency) with latex if the TWC was still in good shape.

Oh yeah, one other point to the OP - no paint will stick on PTP that has not dried all the way yet. I made a mess out of my mail box post a couple of years ago with wood from a big box store that was still damp from pressure treating. I primed and painted with heavy duty oil based right away and all that did for me was give me really strong paint chips.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Andy,

I agree on the pressure treated stuff. When I build a house, I tell the homeowners that if they want to paint the railings or deck structure, they should wait 6 months. The problem with the pt wood from the BORG is that you don't really know what you are getting. One piece might be ready for a coat of paint and the next might be soaking wet.

Just thought of one more thing about the siding... The T1-11 has a very rough surface. That might affect the adherence of the paint too.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If we're talking about coloring PT Pine, your best bet is a solid stain. It is going to last a lot longer due to it's penetration, and it will help hide the knots and resin pockets that will pop through paint in a year or three much better. I agree with Andy, TWS doesn't last very long at all, so there should be no adhesion issues.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS