paint removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
My house was built in 1940. the front door and surround has paint on it 1/4" thick. have tried gel stripper, hand scraper, dremel multi-max, randow orbit sander. is there an easy way?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Just remember it's probably a lead-based paint and take the necessary precautions. If you get into sanding, a mask should definitely be worn.

Glennbear

Glenn
Stripping similarily ancient cabinets once I found the best method was a good respirator , heat gun, and scraper. Heat gun removal produces the least dust. :wsmile:

M

McRabbet

+1 for the heat gun method, but be careful not to get paint scrapings too hot or they may ignite. I echo the warning about lead in the paint -- a certainty with paint that old, so wear a mask. We did the same thing around our small entry porch with columns on our 1920's vintage colonial in Rhode Island many years ago -- lots of work dealing with all the dentilling and moldings, but a variety of good pull scrapers and persistence paid off. It looked great when we finished.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I echo everything that has been said. If it is really that important that you must restore it, then stick by your safety precautions. They don't build 'em like they used to, AND THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT. :widea: Be careful, and good luck! :icon_thum

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I would just go with new.

This might seem more expensive, but before you are through this might be the better way not to mention safer.

If that is not possible then the heat gun and a pump up sprayer of water to keep things safe, hose pipe also handy but use the sprayer first....less mess

DaveD

New User
Dave
Can you find a place that will take them and dip them in a big vat. Not sure how they do it (specific chemicals) though.

Or build a tub area out of 2x4s and line it with a big sheet of plastic, put the door in and flood and cover the door with whatever chemicals work (can't help you as to what works though).

For sure you have lead based paint there so I would refrain from sanding the paint off.

bwat

New User
Bill
Yep, a good heat gun works wonders but also produces a few fumes so take the necessary safety precautions.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I've got a Porter-Cable 7403 paint remover. It looks like a cross between an angle grinder and a router. It uses disks that have slight protrusions. Not as much dust as sanding, but I wore a respirator when I used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors