Out of 8/4 Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi,

Pretty simple question.

I have enough 4/4 cherry to build a small hall table except for the legs. Instead of going out and trying to buy a small amount of 8/4 cherry, can I glue up/laminate 4/4 for the legs with any success?

Should I cut a small relief on the mating sides for somewhere for the excess glue to go? Any other tricks to save me the 8/4 hunt or is this just a waste of time - with the seam and all?:BangHead:

Thanks,

Wayne

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Wayne,
Yes you certainly can glue up two 4/4's. One interesting thought to add some interest to the legs is to laminate a small 1/4" piece of light colored wood (holly, etc.) or even black ebony between the glue up. This would really set the legs off. Just a thought. Of couse, if you don't do that, try to match the grain as close as possible.
Good luck,
Jim in Mayberry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Why, yes you can, and they will be more stable than the 8/4 would be. There is no need to make any relief for the glue, just take two mating pieces that are both flat and spread a thin, even layer of glue on them and the clamp the snot out of it. Leave them a little over-sized so you can square them up after-wards.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks, Guys!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that I will give it a whirl!!!!!! Capital City just want way too much for their 8/4 cherry!!!!!!!!!:BangHead: :BangHead:

Never done it! But, there's always a first!

Thanks again!

Wayne

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
spend a little time on matching your grain......turn them every possible way to what looks the best.....it's possible to get them to look like a solid piece......good luck

J

jeff...

Just a thought, it helps me if I can go a little over sized and run the legs back through the planer to true them up after the clamps come off.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
And if the joint bothers you, miter and glue up two pieces for the two outside faces (joints are harder to see on a corner) and fill in the back with another piece. Stickley used to make up legs with four pieces of QSWO so he would have the characteristic ray fleck grain on all four faces.

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
Hi,

Pretty simple question.

I have enough 4/4 cherry to build a small hall table except for the legs. Instead of going out and trying to buy a small amount of 8/4 cherry, can I glue up/laminate 4/4 for the legs with any success?

Thanks,

Wayne

That's exactly the way I made the legs for the LOML Dictionary Stand (still in progress). Needed 2x2 legs and only had 4/4 rough. Glued up 3 pieces for each leg. Tried to the grain close, and failing that looked for the interesting contrasts. Its only recently that I've scored 8/4 of anything (red oak and white pine) so all my project legs have been glue ups.

1st pic are the cherry legs for the stand and the 2nd are red oak legs for my endtable project. All of them are glue ups from 4/4.

Attachments

• legsmortised.JPG
    legsmortised.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 173
  • LegsFinal.JPG
    LegsFinal.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 174

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am in agreement with the posts you have already received. How big will the legs be? If 2" or less you can do it with 4/4 rough stock and have 2 pieces. I like to take a board twice the size of the legs in width, rip in the center and fold it back like a book to have "bookmatched" face when glued up.:)

Jerry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
walnutjerry..............If 2" or less you can do it with 4/4 rough stock and have 2 pieces. I like to take a board twice the size of the legs in width, rip in the center and fold it back like a book to have "bookmatched" face when glued up.:smile:

Jerry

Jerry,

The legs will be 1 1/2" square at the top and tapered down to about 7/8" at the bottom. I really like your idea of ripping the one board and "bookmatching" the faces!

Thanks so much for all that replied! I feel rescued, once more!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Thanks again!

Wayne

J

jeff...

I am in agreement with the posts you have already received. How big will the legs be? If 2" or less you can do it with 4/4 rough stock and have 2 pieces. I like to take a board twice the size of the legs in width, rip in the center and fold it back like a book to have "bookmatched" face when glued up.:)

Jerry

Jerry now that's a cool method to the madness. I never thought of book matching leg glue-up's like that. I'll have to remember this and give it a try for the next project.

Thanks for the wisdom and knowledge. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS