OOps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Sometimes I get one of those ideas that just bugs the heck out of me until I try iy just to see what would happen.
This is one of those cases.
This blank required me to make 2 blanks identical but with the colors?woods reversed.
Without going into detail the blanks required registration marks and I must have goofed on one or both.
Since I had twice as many pieces as needed I was going to make a segmented spiral wave but the pieces got out of sequence.
Since this started as a hex blank I needed to build it up to make it into a dodecagon for the second blank.
both pieces were wrapped in maple to get the increased size.In other words I could not see the pattern as I was gluing it up.
As it is I can make it into a shortened Baron but will hold off on making it into something I am not all that sure I am happy with the result but decided to post it lest you think all of my bone headed ideas work.
bicolor wave in walnut and maple
2178159bicolorwave001.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Eagle, that may be off in your mind, but the precision in which you segmented that blank is awesome. I think it is one of those cases where you say "I planned it that way" with a big smile on your face. I still think that it would be an awesome pen, with a very unique pattern. This is the first I've seen you try to segment your wave blanks, and I really like the idea.
I would make that into a pen and be very proud of what you've done. Despite not being exactly what you were hoping to accomplish, it is still better than many pencrafters could ever hope to accomplish.
I am beginning to understand how you do the designs that you do, but am still at a lost for the method of your repeatability and great precision. Even your so called "bone headed OOps" are inspiring...and allow a little insight into your methods, a very little :icon_scra :icon_scra

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Gosh, it may not have been the goal, but is still cool. Go ahead and make it into a pen and send it this way. I'll give it good home!

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow...Eagle...I hate to say it, but you really messed that up!!! :lol:

Seriously, I really feel that I'm becoming such a broken record here that it ends up as a cliche, but I really think it looks great! I wouldn't hesitate to put some hardware around that and show it off with pride! I think, even if one doesn't appreciate the amount of work you put into that, it's a pretty nice blank.

BTW...I didn't like that pink pen that you made a couple months back. I know that is rude of me to say, but I only say that because I want you to see that I have it in me to tell you if I don't like something. Without that knowledge, my comments above are worthless and you will never know if you can trust me or not...haha...

Cheers! (and respectfully :) )
Chris

Gary G

New User
Gary
Eagle,
It's amazing how much work you put into learning where the road leads.
This demonstrates the earnestness of your response when someone asks
how do you do that & you tell 'em `try for yourself if you want to know.'
:icon_thum
Gary

J

jeff...

There are two black hairs in the upper right hand corner :lol:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Wow, so much work. I'd have to find some use for it. For future attempts, I wonder if you could use some sort of registration key cut down throught the center to keep everything on the mark until you're glued up and turning. But, hey what do I know about inlay I turn uni-wood pens ;-) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS