Senior User
12-1/2" Benchtop Planer with Byrd Cutterhead

1708374301231.png

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Anybody with knowledge of Oliver brand?
Oliver has been around for ages, but not quite the same Oliver as the original. Good to see them available again as their versions of several of the generic stationary tools have better features than the Griz/Jet/ Baileigh/PM etc.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
From vintagemachinery.org...

In the 1970s there was a relationship between Oliver Machinery and west-coast woodworking machinery maker Davis & Wells: we have seen Davis & Wells sales flyers also carrying the Oliver name, and Oliver sold the heavy-duty Davis & Wells 20-inch bandsaw as the Oliver M\model 2520. There are likely other such products as well.

The late 1970s saw the start of hard times for many makers of woodworking machinery. Imported machinery undercut the prices of the domestic makers. To make matters worse, imported furniture was hurting some of the major machinery buyers. In 1986, Oliver Machinery filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Rich Fink, an original Oliver Machinery employee, purchased the remaining parts, inventory and drawings of the original Oliver Machinery Co. For two decades his company, Eagle Machinery, provided parts and service out of the same building that Oliver formerly occupied. In 2022 the Oliver parts and support business was acquired by Straitoplane Machine, Inc., of Hughesville, PA.

The Oliver name has resurfaced on a line of imported Pacific-Rim machinery that is unrelated to the original Oliver line.

Jasonfromhendo

Jason
User
I would say that regardless of being made in Taiwan (like most computer chips, incidentally), the Oliver Machinery Planer for $900 from Woodcraft is something I went for. My Makita was from around 2010 or so. This is a great machine for the bench-top category, IMHO.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS