Old vs new Scroll saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
I have an old Delta 40-440 24 inch scroll saw that I love but can't get the results I need from it. I understand part of the problem is that the spring return mechanism results in varying blade tension as it travels up and down. New saws maintain constant blade tension. Thinking that maximum tension would give better results, but can't get accuracy that appears to be available from the newer machines like Dewalt DW788. Minimizing tension now seems to work better, as there would be less tension differential between the maximum upper and lower positions. Has anybody had success getting better accuracy using these old scroll saws? I see in the instruction book a lower guide is shown on one of the pictures but it isn't shown on any exploded parts lists I've been able to find. I wonder if that would help.

Is it possible that these old saws just aren't capable of the accuracy of the newer models such as Dewalt DW788?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I started with an old craftsman pin end saw. Then I had a used dremel saw. I now have the Dewalt. Is it better? Yes! I do believe you could probably 'tune up' your saw to get better results. Use good, sharp blades. Slow down. Then try a better saw. I think you will still see a large difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS