offering carving classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
I have finally decided to offer carving classes on a broader basis. I have taught an apprentice, several students and have helped several retired gentlemen over the years. Carving has been my career for the past 32 years.

I am able to offer beginning to advanced classes in relief and three dimensional sculpture. Chip carving is not my strong point and would prefer to avoid that discipline.

My current rates are very affordable and I am willing to travel outside of Asheville to teach. I am also willing to offer the use of my tools during the classes as I realize that tools are expensive and one doesn't always know what to get to suit a particular carving style. You will still need to have some tools to start but mine will fill in or round out whatever need you or the group may have during the classes.

If you have not seen my work feel free to take a look at www.stromcarver.com

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or are interested in classes.

Mark
828 713-9308

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We definitely have at least three who want to take a class at Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty. Just need to set a date. And for me it should be a Saturday.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Mark i would love to be a part of such a class if you ever are able to make arrangements to come to the eastern part of the state. As bad as i would love to meet with you guys in Asheville i can't make it happen right now. Daggone it!

Chris

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
We definitely have at least three who want to take a class at Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty. Just need to set a date. And for me it should be a Saturday.

Mike,

If you are talking about this:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39498
there was a date set (7/30) but then was going to be cancelled for lack of interest. But when he posted the message about cancelling, suddenly people started saying they wanted to attend. I will PM Bill to take a look at this thread and offer thoughts. I was planning to attend to help lead as a volunteer, but if Mark came out I would likely still attend only as a paying student instead. However, it is obviously Bill's call as to whether he wants to keep it as an amateur led workshop or explore changing it to a professionally led class. Bill?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

I'm one of the three Mike mentioned for the class at my shop. Actually, it's my grandson who is interested in carving.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've cancelled the other carving workshop that was being offered, and have referred those who were interested to Mark's class, based on Pete's (PeteM) recommendation.

As for holding one at my shop in Liberty, we already had July 30 reserved. Would that work you Mark, and anyone else interested? If so, my shop is available. Just let me know. If that date doesn't work, the shop will still be available most any date you pick. :icon_thum

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike,

If you are talking about this:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39498
there was a date set (7/30)

Way ahead of you!

Bill and I had planned to offer Mark's workshop after the beginning one. I still believe both are needed.

Many beginners would benefit greatly by having an elementary introduction before taking a more advanced class.

I still believe both should be done.

And I would take both.

We had been talking behind the scenes to prevent such a mix up as this but now that the cat is out of the bag. I still want to take both.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
For those that want to see what it's all about before making an investment I would be glad to have anyone come to my place (in Charlotte) and we could go over what's involved and do a little carving. I'm here pretty much all the time so scheduling shouldn't be a problem. But, I think that anyone interested in lessons should go with Mark.

pete

CarvedTones

Andy
Way ahead of you!

No surprise there. :rotflm:

Bill and I had planned to offer Mark's workshop after the beginning one. I still believe both are needed.

Many beginners would benefit greatly by having an elementary introduction before taking a more advanced class.

I still believe both should be done.

And I would take both.

We had been talking behind the scenes to prevent such a mix up as this but now that the cat is out of the bag. I still want to take both.

I am still willing to help with something as a beginner class, but I am not an experienced instructor and not as good or fast at relief as I would like to be. I do have some material that I could lean on. But Bill has cancelled the first one, so unless there is more discussion and a reversal, it looks like there will be just one.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would love to have one at your shop on the 30th.

I've cancelled the other carving workshop that was being offered, and have referred those who were interested to Mark's class, based on Pete's (PeteM) recommendation.

As for holding one at my shop in Liberty, we already had July 30 reserved. Would that work you Mark, and anyone else interested? If so, my shop is available. Just let me know. If that date doesn't work, the shop will still be available most any date you pick. :icon_thum

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Actually I think 4 positions are already taken, I have to check with B4man to be sure.

I'm talking on the phone with Stave Thursday night after some of us get together to discuss details.

So I think this first class has 2 -3 openings.

I'm sure there will be more classes later. Either at Bill's shop or Asheville or both.

Looks like class fee will be $100 at Bill's shop in Liberty.

Stave or I will make everything firm Friday.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I talked to Mark last night, I think we have everything worked out.

If Andy and Scott confirm for July 30th then this workshop is full but we'll take a couple standbys just in case.

The fee will be $100 for a 6 hour class, bring $5 to chip in for pizza or bring your lunch. Wood will be provided, waiting to see how much that will cost and if we need to chip in on the wood. All funds should be in cash at the start of class.

Mark will provide some recommended tools for us to bring, he has two or three patterns to choose from and will post pictures of the finished pieces later this week. You will need three tools, a flat chisel that you probably already have, a v-tool that will cost between $20 and $40 depending on which brand and where you purchase and a curved tool similar in cost.

I think we can get these locally and save shipping, but you may want to go high end as these will be you most used tools for possibly several years. Mark will have a lot more to say about this later.

So, it looks like Bill's grandson, Barbara, Victoria, Andy, Scott and me for this first workshop.

Sorry to leave Chris out, Chris can you make it as far as Liberty?
If not we may set something up for the Raleigh area later.

I'm sure people will be knocking the door down to get in line for the next one as soon as we post our carvings from this workshop!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is my confirm that I am in for July 30th. Thanks Mike and Bill for pulling this together.

What is our start time?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Six hour class say 10 to 4.

I think 10am will give folks time to travel and still get home at a reasonable hour.

richlife

New User
Rich
Unfortunately I missed this thread until now. I'd like to join the fun (and finally get to see Bill's shop) if you can squeeze one more in. I keep thinking about trying some relief carving, but with so many things in progress, it's hard to make the time. This opportunity is too good to pass up.

So please let me know if it's "squeezable". Have tools, will travel -- and I can even bring a "setup" if you can drop me a note on what to include.

Rich

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Rich,

Chris has first refusal, if he declines then you are in.

I think there will be another class in a month or two so don't worry if you miss this one.

richlife

New User
Rich
Thanks, Mike. On my calendar and waiting to see...

But obviously, I can't HOPE that someone else can't do it -- can I? :evil:

Rich

CarvedTones

Andy
I can confirm. With my big family, it's always "barring an unforeseen emergency" but I have it on the calendar and funding "approved" :) . I am looking forward to it.

I talked to Mark last night, I think we have everything worked out.

If Andy and Scott confirm for July 30th then this workshop is full but we'll take a couple standbys just in case.

The fee will be $100 for a 6 hour class, bring $5 to chip in for pizza or bring your lunch. Wood will be provided, waiting to see how much that will cost and if we need to chip in on the wood. All funds should be in cash at the start of class.

Mark will provide some recommended tools for us to bring, he has two or three patterns to choose from and will post pictures of the finished pieces later this week. You will need three tools, a flat chisel that you probably already have, a v-tool that will cost between $20 and $40 depending on which brand and where you purchase and a curved tool similar in cost.

I think we can get these locally and save shipping, but you may want to go high end as these will be you most used tools for possibly several years. Mark will have a lot more to say about this later.

So, it looks like Bill's grandson, Barbara, Victoria, Andy, Scott and me for this first workshop.

Sorry to leave Chris out, Chris can you make it as far as Liberty?
If not we may set something up for the Raleigh area later.

I'm sure people will be knocking the door down to get in line for the next one as soon as we post our carvings from this workshop!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Unfortunately I missed this thread until now. I'd like to join the fun (and finally get to see Bill's shop) if you can squeeze one more in. I keep thinking about trying some relief carving, but with so many things in progress, it's hard to make the time. This opportunity is too good to pass up.

So please let me know if it's "squeezable". Have tools, will travel -- and I can even bring a "setup" if you can drop me a note on what to include.

Rich

Hey Rich, I hope you get in, but if not, don't let that stop you from coming to see the shop. Visitors are always welcome (and enjoyed)! We'll also be having a Shop Crawl this fall that will include my shop, so there's another opportunity to come see it. :eusa_danc

Bill

stave

New User
stave
I am afraid there will be a delay getting the pattern pictures up. I had a piece of plywood fall on my toe today so I will need to stay off of it for a couple days. Nothing major but it did make a mess. I will get back to carving in a couple days and will post information then.

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS